MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Halloween party games and craft ideas 
Site Admin

Post Halloween party games and craft ideas
I know it's way early but I halloween hard and I'm already getting my party program ready. The intro for my school's website is on the way. The first effect is finished. check it out.

I'm looking for group party games. I throw a party for about 60 elementary and lower students every year. Every year I like to have different events, game and activities.

Can anybody share any good ideas? or memories from Halloween parties when you were a kid?

Here's some of mine:

I came up with this game because I was sitting around thinking of something to do with a big bag of Tootsie Rolls.

Tootsie Toss: a two person (team) game

One person wears a plastic pumpkin-bucket necklace. It's a Jack o' Lantern bucket suspended with a rope of some sort. This person stands in some small designated area.

The second person is, from some distance, going to toss tootsie rolls to the first person.

The first person can manuver within the given area to catch the tootsie. The only rules are they can't leave the area or touch the bucket with their hands or arms.

It's freakin' hilarious! and good fun.

Eventually you get someone who could care less about winning and just starts peggin' their friend. It takes a couple tootsie before s/he realizes they don't have to just stand there and take it. (Don't let it go on too long or it will get out of hand.)

You can have several groups compete using time or a certain number of candy pieces. Obviously, the group that gets the most wins!

Jack o' Fishing:
I printed out some jack o' lantern pictures and cut them out. Then I ran them through the laminator and cut them out again.

I took a suction cup ball (a ball that has little suction cups all the way around - you can find them at most toy stores) and tied one end of a long string to it. I made a finger loop on the other end.

I placed all of the jack o' lanterns on the floor and from some distance away, the students would throw the ball and try to catch a Jack o' Lantern. They would then real it in and get a prize.

Small children will need to be closer. Older children should be pretty far away or it's too easy.

big picture

The ball will usually stick to the laminated picture. This is good for anything really. I've used it for phonics and vocabulary as well.

Mummy Wrap:

Set kids up in teams of two. Give one of the team members a roll of toilet paper. When you say go, they have to wrap the other member. The first team to finsh their roll wins!

Craft ideas:

Maka a mask
Give each student a sheet of paper, perferably something sturdy like construction paper or card.

Have the students draw a large oval on the paper for the face.

The students will draw a face for their mask and cut out eye holes (and a mouth hole if they'd like but it isn't necessry.)

Once they've decorated their masks they can cut them out.

Using a hole puch, put a hole on each side of the mask. String a rubberband through each hole and connect the rubber bands with a paperclip. This will make and elastic band to hod the mask on.

You might want to reinforce the holes for the band with tape, so they don't tear.

Make a real Jack o' Lantern - sort of ...

Using thick card draw a pumpkin shape on a piece of paper. Kids then draw the eyes, nose and mouth for their Jack o' Lantern. Carefully cut out the pumpkin and cut out the facial features (eyes, nose, mouth, etc.) Place your Jack o' Lantern in the window and the Jack o' lantern will glow by letting daylight in and at night it will appear to glow from the lights inside.

Last edited by mesmark on Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:33 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Fanatic!

We used to do, "guess what's in the bowl/bucket". There were covered bowls of different objects/food and we had to go around and stick our hand in *eewwww for somethings* and figure out what it is!

I tried this with a group of my students for Halloween and some were afraid to stick their hand in the bowl after they saw their friends reactions! Anything that feels strange or interesting is a great object to use!

Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:02 am
Site Admin

Not really a game but a decoration. I made some Nightmare Before Christmas window hangings last week.

I'm going to put those and two more in the windows for my Halloween Party. I have the party during the day and this will be a good way to block out some of the light and give the place an eery effect.

Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:00 am
Profile WWW
Post Pin the tail on the black cat
I'm going to play Pin the tail on the Black Cat. I will divide the kids into 2 teams. I have a black cat poster so I'm going to cut off the tail and place a yellow circle where the tail was before. I will place a blind fold on the kid and then spin them around a few times.. The kid will get 3 points if they pin the tail inside the yellow circle, 2 points if it's placed anywhere on the black cat and 1 point anywhere else. It should be fun and crazy! :D

Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:47 pm
Site Admin

I made some tombstones for my party this year.

I got a 2mx2m sheet of hard thick styrofoam from the local home improvement center (about $9.) I cut that into 2 tombstone shapes.

I took some thin styrofoam ($3 per sheet) and cut out two designs for the engraving. Some people actually engrave with a wood burner or dremel but that's just too much work for me. I glued the engravings on with regular wood glue.

Then I bought some gray water based house paint and coated the tombstones. While the paint was wet, I took some black paint from a kid's paint set and made some streak marks for an aged effect. DONT USE SPRAY PAINT! The aresol will melt the styrofoam.

I'll add in pictures of them in the graveyard scene after my party.

Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:07 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Here's third and maybe last one (this year.) I thought I'd show the difference shadowing and aging effects can have.

Here's the third tombstone painted gray without anything done to it.

all I did was take some black paint and make some streaks where water and dirt migh accumulate and run down the tombstone.

It makes it look a lot more real, IMO.

Here are the three tombstones together in the lot where I'm planning on having my jack o' lantern carving party.

Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:51 am
Profile WWW
MES-Fanatic!

SSSoooooo by any chance ... Do you like Halloween??? :lol: I know I love decorating but your decorations are above and beyond what mine would ever be! Would love to be a student at your Halloween party!! hahaha

Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:36 pm
Site Admin

I do enjoy parties :D I usually go all out for Halloween, Chistmas and Easter but the others ... I'm usually too wasted from all the other fun.

Here's a fun party game: Halloween Freeze Tag

kep wrote:
Halloween freeze tag: standard freeze tag, where the "oni" is a witch, and students become mummies (strike a mummy pose and don't move) if touched. If other students want to un-freeze their friends, they ask an English question (whatever language you've been working on lately), the mummy has to answer, then can move again. I also recommend some Halloween music to keep things moving.

This was an absolute BLAST. The students were having so much fun, and were so busy running, that they really spit out the language without too much hemming and hawing. Definitely one of the best activities I've used. Can't wait to adapt it for other lessons.

That game is also really great if you have the witch/wizard cast a spell on the person.

"Jump."
"Turn around"
"Cry"
"Run in place"
"Shout 'I love English!' over and over"

Whatever you'd like. That's when it really gets funny. They have to do that action until they are saved (in whatever way you see fit.)

I'm sure with a good/cooperative group you can get the game to work with junior high or high school students, especially if you make it punishing. They enjoy that more than the English part of the game.

Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:16 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

This year in class we are going to make bookmarks. I will give the students strips of paper that match the size of laminating film I have. I'm going to print-out a few of my Halloween handouts and let the students cut those pictures up or draw their own pictures on the cards. Once they're finished, we'll run those through a laminator, poke a hole in the top and put two ribbons on it (black and orange.)

It's very simple but the students really like it.

All you need is a laminator, paper, ribbon and some students :) You don't need to laminate them, but that's the part my students really like.

Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:33 am
Profile WWW
MES-Fanatic!

Interesting Idea for bookmarks:) Funny I was just talking about bookmarks with an adult student yesterday!! Never occured to me that students might like making them!!
That would be a good Christmas Activity too!

Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:51 am
MES-Addict

I made a card game based on the idea of Clue. It has no board only cards. I divide the student up into five teams. I introduce the six killer suspects (easy to change into Hallowe'en characters), the six weapons (also can be changed) and the nine rooms of the (haunted) house (you can also include some places outside like the garden or graveyard). One card from each set is put aside and the others are mixed and dealt into six piles (one for each team plus an extra). I use the extra pile as a way of explaining how to cross off learnt information (I try to have one card from each catergory for this purpose).

After they have received their cards and checked off their hints, then they take turns guessing who the killer is, what weapon he/she has and where the killer is hiding now in a similar way as in the original game. After each guess they are shown one card that proves their guess wrong as in the board game (I usually have to help a lot with this step). Play continues until one teams guesses correctly. If time runs out I give each team one last guess and I record it on the board (no hint is given) and the team that is the closest wins (it can often be a tie). I've done this with a wide range of ages and it was quite fun for them.

Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:25 pm
MES-Member

Post Halloween activities/games
Party Games:

Eyeball pass: draw some eyes on white ping pong balls. Students line up in teams. Each student has a pair of wooden chopsticks. Students have to pass the "eyeball" down the line (using only chopsticks). The first team's eyeball to reach the end wins!

Eyeball/Pumpkin toss: Draw eyeballs on white ping pong balls, and pumpkin faces on orange ping pong balls. (2 teams: orange and white) Then draw/print out some pictures (witch/ghost/skeleton etc) and tape them onto different sizes of cardboard boxes. Also, write points on the boxes. Put the boxes at different distances away from the toss line. Students get 3 eyeballs and try to toss them into the boxes. Count points, team with the highest points wins. (tall/narrow boxes are really hard to get balls into, but make them worth a lot of points). Little ones can stand closer to the boxes than other students.

Halloween Fruit Basket: students sit in chairs in a circle(1 less chair than students). give each student a small flashcard with a halloween picture. You call out a word (Witch!) All witches must change seats. One student will be left in the middle. Change vocab and repeat. Say "Happy Halloween" and ALL students change seats. Once in a while, have the students swap their cards so they get to practice with a new word.

Witch Sweep. In 2 (or 3 or 4?) teams, students line up at the start line. Have the first person put on a witch's hat and give them a broom (the Japanese bamboo brooms look just like a real witch's broom!). Set up some chairs or other obstacles. When you say go, the students have to "sweep" a ball or piece of crumpled newspaper (or anything you want) across the floor/around the obstacles and come back to their line-pass the broom and hat to the next student. Repeat. First team to finish is the winner.

Halloween War: Not a party game, but a way to practice Halloween vocab. Review the vocab. Ask students to order the vocab from strongest to weekest (or scariest to least scary)-put one set on the board (or desk). then divide the other vocab cards up amoung students. They flip over their top card, the "strongest/scariest" card wins. I also do this with other vocab (bugs, fruit (most delicious), sports (most fun) )-you can do it with just about everything...

Is that it?...
Penny

Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:05 pm
MES-Addict

Post Pin the bone on the Skeleton
Fun and Easy Game for Halloween!
It teaches direction words like right, left, go forward, go backwards, turn left, turn right, go left, go right, go up, go down, etc.

First I went to http://www.benjerry.com/halloween/crafts/ and got the skeleton print-out. I printed it on some large paper (A3 or B4 or something) and cut it out into pieces. I put some pieces together (I made the legs and arms as one piece) so that the game wouldn't take so long, and because some pieces are so small. I also cut off the head to make it seperate from the body.

I lamenated everything and put double sided tape on the back. I also got a large orange poster to stick it all to.

Anyways, the game was like this:

I made two skeletons so there could be teams and had the teams race (5-6 on a team). One team member from each team steps forward and is blindfolded. The teacher spins the team members and the students have to direct the team member to the poster using (forward, backward, left, right". Once at the poster the student need to place their body part. Students can yell "
left, right, up, down, and turn it" to help their team-mate find the best spot.

After the student places the piece on the board, the student removes the blindfold and sees how he/she did. I had the skeleton cut into head, body, hip bone, arms, legs, hands, and feet.

For older students (8-11), I didn't give them the piece until they had their blindfold on, so other students had to explain what it was. They or I would say to the blindfolded student, "it's the left arm".

For younger students (5-7), I showed them the body part before blindfolding them. I also made sure to help the students direct the blindfolded student, since they probably didn't even know their left and right in Japanese.

For really young students (2.5-4), I showed them the body part, where it goes on the body, and directed them with my hand a little. I also directed them with my voice.

The goal is to see which team can create a full skeleton faster, and also to see which team can make the better looking skeleton.

I tried to emphasize speed over accuracy. At the end I had some pretty silly looking skeletons, with arms coming out of their heads and feet coming off their knee caps, but the kids seemed to just enjoy it more this way. I would try to mimick the skeletons for the kids, and that usually got an easy laugh.

You can do this same game with a tukey. Just make a big turkey and a lot of feathers. Have the students try and place the feathers on its butt. The first team to do all the feathers wins. The disadvantage to this is that I don't think any of my students have ever seen a turkey or heard of Thanksgiving. Where as all of my students have heard of Halloween and seen a skeleton. The other problem is that who would want to play this when they could be drawing Hand Turkeys. Not I, that's for sure.

Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:06 pm
Site Admin

Here was the plan.

I made the coffin for that scene first. Here's the work I did on the foam coffin. A few steps were skipped, because I'm not sure how interested everyone is in this, but you get the point.

I was thinking about gluing on the little skull design, but I decided to glue the foam piece to hard card and just stick it on. That way I can take it off easily if i decide I don't like it. Also, I raised it off the coffin a bit to give it some depth. You can also see some of the wood grain I scratched into the styrofoam.

So, for a game I made some smaller coffin lids.

Kids at the party will place a (ping-pong) eyeball at one end and have to roll the eyeball into the skull's sockets to get a prize. Older kids will have to roll 2 eyeballs.

That took about 3 hours to cut everything up, drill out the skulls and paint it all.

I got some foam sheets from the hardware store and work started on scene 1, the three panel coffin picture spot. I'm going to use this to test the idea out and see what I might need to do for a bigger castle scene ...

I laid three large sheets out and cut one sheet into thirds to give me a 2.7mx2.5m backdrop. I placed them on the ground and drew all of the stones. This way I could hopefully reduce the effect of the seems by having stones effectively cross the boundaries

Here's a look a them carved out

It took about 2 hours to do all of that, prep to clean up.

Here's the first scene painted and set up with models :) These first pictures are just the wall pannels after I painted them.

And, here's the scene with the coffin.

and with people.

Anyway, it's a pretty cheap way to make a little Halloween picture spot.
the coffin cost about $40 for styrofoam and paint
the wall cost about the same

Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:58 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Addict

Where did you get all the pumpkins?? Do you make friends with a local farmer :)

Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:06 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next