MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
3 Card-Set Rummy - good for one-on-one 
Site Admin

Post 3 Card-Set Rummy - good for one-on-one
I've recently, for no real reason, started experimenting with a Rummy type game with the small game cards in the flashcard section. It's a great game for one-on-one classes and can be done with small groups and even larger classes if you place them into smaller groups.

You need a set of small flashcards with 3 of each item; 3 strawberries, 3 apples, 3 watermelons, ...

You distribute 10-15 cards to each player and players try to collect sets of 3 as points. One set of 3 is three points.

If you have a set of three, you can lay those cards down in front of you as your points if you wish. You can also hold onto them. (You don't have to put them down just yet. That would be for strategic purposes.)

The rest of the cards are placed in the center, face down as a deck to draw cards from. We'll call that the draw pile.

The game:

- one card is turned over and placed beside the draw pile. This will be the discard row

draw pile :|: bear

- the first player can take a card, either from the draw pile or the card that has been turned over, the bear card in the above example.
    - the player looks at their cards and decides which card they'd like to discard. They must discard one card.
    - the player places the card they don't want to the side of the last card in the discard row. Let's say they don't want the fish card.
draw pile :|: bear | fish

- the discard row will get longer and longer.

- the next player can either take the last card in the discard row (the fish card) or draw a card from the draw pile.

- play continues as above and the game ends when one player has played all of their cards. Players count all of the cards they have laid down as sets. The card total is their total number of points. Any player still holding cards will subtract points for any cards they are holding.

If a player want a lower card in the discard row, they can take it only if they are able to make a set with the card. They must also take all of the cards after that card. So, if the discard pile looked like this:

draw pile :|: bear | fish | turtle | lion | panda | fish | gorilla

and it was my turn, I could take a card from the draw pile or the gorilla card. However, if I had a "fish" card, I could make a set of three with the other 2 fish cards in the discard row.

So, I could take all the cards from the first 'fish', (fish | turtle | lion | panda | fish | gorilla), and I would place the 3 fish card set in front of me.
Then I would discard any one card to the discard row. Let's say I don't need the lion card.

draw pile :|: bear | lion

the deck of draw pile cards will run out. I haven't found a really good way to handle this situation, but what I do is say players can take a card from the discard row as above, or just discard one of their cards without drawing a card.

They have to have at least one card in their hands, so if they only have one card, they can pass or draw a card from the discard pile as above.

for language practice, each time they place a card down or a set down, they have to use some target language, make a sentence, name the item or something like that. So, if I put down a lion card in the discard row, I'd say something like:
    - "a lion"
    - "This is a lion."
    - "Lions are strong."
    - "I've seen a lion at the zoo."
    - "Have you ever seen a lion in person?"
    - "Lions don't live in Japan."

So, if you have a one-on-one student, this works really well. Each turn they will be using the language and listening to another player with each turn. I was pleasantly surprised at how well the game was received and at how much we could use the target language while having fun playing the game.

This all makes more sense if you know how to play Rummy, but I'm sure people might still have questions. So, if you need me to clarify any part of that, let me know.

I hope it's helpful.

Wed May 12, 2010 11:24 am
Profile WWW
MES-Fanatic!

I know how to play rummy so this makes perfect sense to me. This sounds like a very good game for one on one or small groups. I think it might be a bit difficult to explain however, and would be difficult to manage in larger classes but I will try it with my small class soon. The good thing is that it is adaptable to any target sentence.

As a note about the discard pile - when I playrummy and the discard pile runs out we just turn the discard pile over and start again.

Thu May 13, 2010 3:16 pm
MES-Member

Thanks Mark for all the wonderful cards and materials you've shared with us all.
I've been using this site for about four years now and only recently discovered the forum.

Anyway, back on topic. To use the game cards for rummy and include some much needed reading practice for the really young kids, I've made and printed a set of text only cards for each of Mark's sets.

So in my rummy set, there are 2 matching picture cards and 1 text card for each scoring threesome.

Hope that might be useful for some of you guys.

Tue May 18, 2010 11:07 pm
Site Admin

That's a good idea to mix the pictures and text. Just last week I mixed singular and plural to practice "is/are".

If you have some text cards, you can just do all text and this game can be for anything at that point. You could also have different colored shapes (red square, blue square, green square, red triangle, red circle ...) and add different grammar structure to each of the different cards. That would allow for the game to be used as a review game.

You could add the text and grammar right to the cards, or make a guide (write on the board or a print out) and use the review cards over and over again with different groups. That's the most versatile and you'll be seeing some cards just like that very soon :D

paddyinthailand wrote:
Thanks Mark for all the wonderful cards and materials you've shared with us all.

No problem. I'm glad the site has been helpful. And, welcome to the forums!

Wed May 19, 2010 6:48 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

I finally got the cards posted. So if wanted to make some general conversation cards instead of using flashcards, you can now print out a pretty simple and useful deck:
www.mes-english.com/games/rummy.php

Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:50 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

I posted a small little image to help people visualize the goal of the game:
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Image

That might help. There are also a few extras you can add to make an UNO type card set out of the cards. You could play a similar ESL game with a regular UNO deck but it's different and gives you another use for the rummy cards.

Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:58 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Member

Post Re: 3 Card-Set Rummy - good for one-on-one
I am so thankful to you, Mark, for sharing the materials with us. All of them are quite useful and interesting! In general your website is darn cool! I love to find out here something new! Thanks for your hard job!

Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]