The International Restaurant Boulevard project lets students work on language for food, ingredients, prices and description. Students can work in pairs or groups and make their own restaurant. They can choose the restaurant's name, exterior, theme, menu, layout and more.
The Target Language for This Project:
food and ingredients
language for ordering - I'd like ... I want ...
pricing and how much
present tense and there is.../There are...
When... and If... clauses
Time: 2 periods: 30-45 minutes each class
The Project Downloads:
the International Restaurant Boulevard:
The project as described in the project file:
Materials to prepare:
- MES-Café menu, and advertisement for each group or student
- One MES-Café picture for class discussion
- enough of the gchoose your restaurant sheeth as required
- paper for write-ups and creating menus
- final draft sheet for each group or student
- Show the MES-Café picture as introduction.
- Ask questions such as what it is a picture of, what kind of food do they serve, whatfs the inside like, where they think the restaurant is locatedc to start discussion.
- Ask what they would serve, where they would like to open a restaurant, what would be the best thing they serve.
- Hand out the MES-Café menu and have the students look it over. Answer any questions they may have (but I donft explain everything, just what they ask about.)
- Ask them what they want to order from this restaurant and how much their order is.
- Brainstorm a list of ideas for appetizers, drinks, main dishes, side dishes, and desserts.
- Give out the echoose a restaurant sheetf and have the students start to make their own restaurant.
- They must decide a name, place, and make a menu with prices.
- Have the students visit other restaurant and choose their order.
- List the ingredients for each of the items on the menu.
- Write up a description/advertisement for the restaurant to pass around town. Use the MES-Café advertisement as an example.
- Create a role-play to act out.
- Create a commercial for the restaurant.
Use the word doc. file or a form of your choice to write up their reports and send them into MES English for everyone to use and share. I will post them on the website and add the students restaurant to the International Restaurant Boulevard.
End User License Agreement: You are free to download any resource from this site as an end user and MES-English.com grants you an End User License with the following restrictions: You may not redistribute, copy, modify, transfer, transmit, repackage, charge for or sell any of the materials from this site. You may use photocopies or printouts for distribution to your students. MES reserves the right to terminate or make changes to this agreement for any reason and without notice.