MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
the Table Game: There is.../ There are... and prepositions 
Site Admin

Post the Table Game: There is.../ There are... and prepositions
The Table Game:

Accumulate as many items as you can, a pencil, tape, a stuffed animal, a CD, a coffee cup, anything. Set each item on a table or desk in front of the class one at a time and after placing the item on the table say, "There is a monkey on the table." Then, have the students repeat. Do this with every item and make sure you have more items than students.

After all the items have been placed on the table, go through each one again to make sure students remember the vocabulary. Then go to the back of the classroom and have all the students stand up, turn around, and face you.

Then ask the students, "What is there on the table?" The students then without looking will raise their hands and tell you, "There is a monkey." (I don't tell the students they are supposed to remember what is on the table. It makes it more interesting the first time around.)

For larger classes let the children sit down after telling you one correct item. For smaller classes award points to the students for each correct answer.

This can also be used as a quick review game.

Once the students have played 2-3 times, make the game more difficult adding prepositions of place. ex. "There is a monkey by the tape."

This is a very fun and simple game that is easy to prepare. It takes 10-15 minutes for one round with introduction and some drilling. Good luck with it.

Happy teaching,
Mark

Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:39 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Member

That sounds fun. I have done something very similar where the children can all look at the items as they are labeled. Next a child is picked to close his/her eyes or turn around and another student is asked to take any 1 item away from the grouping and hide it in a bucket where nobody can see (you can start with 4 items and go all the way up to 10 or more). Putting all the children's names in a hat and pulling one out each turn, this child is then asked, what item they think was removed from the table. If they are correct, they are the "item remover" for the next series of objects. For each round- 1 item is added to the groupings to make it a bit more difficult. The "guesser" can label, feel, manipulate any or all of the items on the table before he/she turns their back and one is removed. This allows for all the senses to be used for recall purposes.

Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:31 am
Site Admin

Thanks for that variation. I will definitely work that into the main game/activity. That's great. It's also a great way to keep practicing the same thing over and over again but keep it interesting.

(It reminds me of another game to post.)

- Mark

Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:29 am
Profile WWW
MES-Member

I have used some of my daughter's playmobil furniture items with this game.
After the drilling, the objects can be taken away and a student can secretly put one of the items in a bag. Then he/she can choose who should ask questions of the type: "Is there a bed in your bag?" which he/she answers with "No, there isn't" until someone guesses what the item in the bag is.
The person who guesses correctly is the next person to come in front of the class and hide an object.

With other items e.g. plastic glasses, forks, spoons etc. other structures can be drilled: "Are there any glasses in your bag?" "No there aren't any" until someone guesses. "Yes, there are some"

Children enjoy becoming "the teacher" and being the ones to pick out of the many hands raised in front of them the one who should answer.

submitted to the site by manuela

Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:15 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]