MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
teaching mixed class 1- 5year olds 
MES-Member

Post teaching mixed class 1- 5year olds
Hello everybody,

I have the opportunity to teach in a newly opened kindergarten which have one mixed group consisting of one 1year old, 2 two year olds, 3 three year olds (I am serious Smile)) and two 5-6 yos. My idea is not to mix the 5-6 yos with others - am I right?
But can I work efficiently with others where there is only one tiny one year old and others 2 and three?
Any ideas how to organize the groups and have efficient lesson plans?
Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you!

Sanja

Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:53 am
Site Admin

If you have the chance to break up the groups, then separating the 5 and 6 year olds would be ideal.

I think working with the 2 and 3 year olds together isn't a big problem. I'd just say that with the 2 year old children you might see less production in activities.

I would put the 1 year old in with the 2s and 3s just for passive exposure. I wouldn't expect the 1 year old to participate much in even a semi-structured activity, but you never know. 1 year olds can be very good at imitating the older kids and doing the actions.

It also depends on what activities you are going to have, what your content will be, and what your goals are with each group. But it sounds like a great opportunity and a lot of fun.

Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:03 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Member

Mesmark thank you. I don't expect much production. My idea is to expose them to English as much as I can. The core of my classes will be songs. I will do simple games and stories too. This with those little ones.
With five year olds I would expect more production but I will still have songs as the most important element in the classes.
Thanx again

Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:35 pm
Site Admin

I'm not sure there was anything there that was really helpful, maybe reassuring :) but if you have time, there is a podcast on teaching English to small kids. You can listen online or download the audio file to add to a music player or just to listen to later (off-line). That has more specific ideas and possibly some useful advice.

I look forward to hearing how the classes go. Keep us updated.

Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:43 am
Profile WWW
MES-Member

Actually it was very helpful because it was reassuring :mrgreen: . I will keep you updated if I get the job :D . But I have to come and present my idea of class organization and lesson plan.
I will certainly listen to the audio file, thanx again.

Sanja

Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:20 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]