MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Dolls, etc. 
MES-Member

Post Dolls, etc.
Use actual toys for characters. Children can contribute, if you don't have them at home.
It's simpler than puppet theatre and allows you to introduce a variety of topics - you can mix and match to create extraordinary stories about, say, the elephant, the ballerina and the alien.

Fri May 15, 2009 10:56 pm
Site Admin

I also use stuffed animals or character cards in class for discussion. I might take a rabbit and then place some cards in front of the rabbit and say "The rabbit likes a, b, and c." Then place some cards in front of a bear and ask "What does the bear like?"

Sun May 17, 2009 8:12 am
Profile WWW
MES-Addict

Post Dolls
Hi,
I often use dolls and puppets to present new language for the first time. As long as you change your voice and possibly have the puppet do something silly then the kids will follow you all the way through. They're good attention grabbers. You can also hand the puppets to the kids and have them play a role as well - they usually can't wait to get their hands on the puppet!

Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:18 pm
Zenda103, welcome to the forums!

I also use stuffed animals or character cards in class for discussion. I might take a rabbit and then place some cards in front of the rabbit and say "The rabbit likes a, b, and c." Then place some cards in front of a bear and ask "What does the bear like?"

better than surfing endlessly on the net trying to find the perfect flashcard! :-D :-D :-D

Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:07 pm
MES-Member

Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:16 am
MES-Fanatic!

Masks and finger puppets are also good. We do role plays (as part of our text book) and the younger students love doing them because of the masks I make for them to wear.

Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:24 pm
MES-Zealot!

Yes, I often use dolls/soft toys in the kindergarten age classes

I have a set of 10 I always use, and its amazing how the kids remember their names. I do various things with them.

1. I use them in a basic hide and seek game, as a warm up. At the end we all count them out loud together to see if they are all there.

2. I sometimes ask "who is this?" then "what color is this/he/she?"

3. I sometimes bring out 7 from my bag and ask who is missing?

4. I sometimes act out a simple dialogue. eg "good morning" etc
"Can you jump?" "Yes, I can" and then throw the doll high in the air (the kids love this)

5. I haven't done this yet but I am thinking of using them in the higher lessons and do body parts (you can do the heads and shoulders song with the kids touching the appropriate body part on a soft toy)
and then go into big eye. Who has big eyes? etc
You could place the toys at various positions around books, boxes etc to do prepositions (The dog is on the book) etc
You can actually do quite a lot of things like this

Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:57 am
I thinks that use of toys and character in teaching its very effective. Children can learn easily in this way. When we use these they think that they are playing not learning its a nice way to teach them.

Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]