MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
need a game for kindergarden. group of 32. 
MES-Fanatic!

Post need a game for kindergarden. group of 32.
and also 1st and 2nd graders. Will start teaching clothing... need a game that will keep their attention. There is one I heard about for makeing studying the body/face. the problem is big class size 32+, which means very hard to control. Any ideas??

Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:11 pm
MES-Addict

Students that age usually enjoy coloring, and if they already know their colors it's even better.

Give them a coloring picture with the vocab you're teaching (i.e clothing - a boy with a t-shirt, jeans and shoes and/or a girl with a skirt, sweater and sandals, etc.). After you've taught the vocab, have the students color the picture by listening to your instructions: i.e. color the t-shirt orange, color the sandals green etc.

Or divide the students up into groups of 5 or 6 and have a set of cards of the target vocabulary for each group. Place the cards face up on the floor or desks in the middle of each group. Practice the 'ready' position: hands on head, mouth closed. Say a vocabulary word i.e. t-shirt and the students have to try to be the first to touch the t-shirt card. You can have them collect the cards as they get them right, or just keep repeating. I also do this games in groups where one student from each group comes to the board (where I've placed all the vocab cards) and with a giant fly swatter (or what every you have) they have to swat/touch the correct card that I've called out. The blackboard method is hard for younger students or big classes because they have to wait a long time for their turn.

Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:53 pm
MES-Zealot!

I taught preschool for 3 years. This alphabet game was a real hit with them. I recently uploaded classroom video of a dork playing this game. It's on the game page.

http://jhsenglipediaproject.com/esp_game_actionabc.aspx

Last edited by patrick on Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:59 pm
MES-Fanatic!

I play duck duck goose sometimes with my Kindergartners. For my 1st/2nd graders, Ill play anything from Simon Says to Heads up 7 up.

Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:04 pm
Profile YIM
MES-Addict

I have an excellent clothes activity, but I need to send mi e- mail

Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:23 am
MES-Addict

I found the site for the clothing activity , it is :
www.dibujosparapintar.com/english_activ ... utout.html it is in english , and it is an excellent activity.............bye

(link fixed by admin)

Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:37 am
MES-Addict

I found the site for the clothing activity , it is :
www.dibujosparapintar.com/english_activ ... utout.htlm, it is in english , and it is an excellent activity.............bye

there is an error in the link. Here is the correct version:

www.dibujosparapintar.com/english_activ ... utout.html

(just changed the m and l in the html part)

great page though. thanks!

Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:11 pm
MES-Addict

Maybe the site http://www.learnenglish.org.uk/kids/ can be useful, too.

Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:30 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Addict

Sorry, but at least you got it correct, Happy New Year.

Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:40 am
MES-Fanatic!

An idea for a game that Ive played with a almost 50+ class is something I dont know the name.

What you do is have flashcards for what you are teaching. Then after you are done with explaining the flashcards, you spread them out all across the floor of the room you are teaching. You tell the students that each time you count down from 10 or something, that you will cross out one of the flashcards (you write all the English on the board, btw).

After you explain it, you tell the students to split up and find a card they like and stand on it. After counting down from 10, you call out the card you are erasing (you cant watch or you will be cheating :P). The students on that card are out. Its fun and it doesnt take too long. And everyone is paying extra attention to what card you are calling out.

Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:53 pm
Profile YIM
MES-Zealot!

An idea for a game that Ive played with a almost 50+ class is something I dont know the name.

What you do is have flashcards for what you are teaching. Then after you are done with explaining the flashcards, you spread them out all across the floor of the room you are teaching. You tell the students that each time you count down from 10 or something, that you will cross out one of the flashcards (you write all the English on the board, btw).

After you explain it, you tell the students to split up and find a card they like and stand on it. After counting down from 10, you call out the card you are erasing (you cant watch or you will be cheating :P). The students on that card are out. Its fun and it doesnt take too long. And everyone is paying extra attention to what card you are calling out.

Great game! Mind if I steal it? What would you call this game if you were to name it? I would call it 'Pop Rocks'.

Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:02 pm
Site Admin

Just post a link to his post. (I know that wasn't what you were going for though. :P )

http://www.mes-english.com/forums/viewt ... =5286#5282

Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:02 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Member

This seems like a wonderfully fun game. I have one question, though. How do you manage the kids that are out? With a large group of preschoolers, it seems like the ones who are not playing a game get bored reeeeeeal quick and start to goof around. This makes noise and it distracts the other kids still playing, and generally leads to mayhem.

Actually, this goes for any game at any level. I've had a number of great games crash due to kids having to wait for the next round or what have you. Any ideas on how to manage kids' downtime?

Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:46 am
Site Admin

First round everyone is at the top. If their card is called, they drop down a level to the next row of cards (same vocabulary set, just another set of cards.) If they are unfortunate enough to lose again, they would drop down another level.

I would make the cards progressively of lower quality.
- first level: nice, big laminated cards
- next level down: large black and white flashcards (not laminated)
- next level down: small game black and white game cards
- next level down: small poorly scetched knock-offs of the cards

Anyway, that will keep kids in the game.

You will still end up with kids that are out. Here's an idea to keep them all playing: if you don't want to demote students, you could play that version in reverse. Have everyone start on the lower level and if their card is called they would move up. When 10% or so kids reach the top level, they win.

I'd probably keep the top level the same as the original game, where students move down one level if their card is called. That way students already at the top still have the fear of being demoted one level. It seems it would keep it interesting.

Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:35 am
Profile WWW
MES-Fanatic!

You could have several levels.

First round everyone is at the top. If their card is called, they drop down a level to the next row of cards (same vocabulary set, just another set of cards.) If they are unfortunate enough to lose again, they would drop down another level.

I would make the cards progressively of lower quality.
- first level: nice, big laminated cards
- next level down: large black and white flashcards (not laminated)
- next level down: small game black and white game cards
- next level down: small poorly scetched knock-offs of the cards

Anyway, that will keep kids in the game.

You will still end up with kids that are out. Here's an idea to keep them all playing: if you don't want to demote students, you could play that version in reverse. Have everyone start on the lower level and if their card is called they would move up. When 10% or so kids reach the top level, they win.

I'd probably keep the top level the same as the original game, where students move down one level if their card is called. That way students already at the top still have the fear of being demoted one level. It seems it would keep it interesting.

I must say I like the variation on it Mark. Umm, for me the game went really fast (since you will have students that are always together). I say one round usually takes anywhere from 5-7 mins. You could also have the students that are out get involved orally. Perhaps have them as your eyes and ears or something. That isnt something I really had a problem with, so no solution from me atm, but its worth a try. Glad you liked the idea... and keep any fresh, used, or refurnished ideas coming back :D

Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:23 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]