MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Body Parts game 
Site Admin

Post Body Parts game
I had my Halloween party last Sunday and we played a spider game. It was a big hit and you can do the same thing when you're teaching body parts.

Each student needs a die (if you have a large class, you can put everyone in groups and give one di to each group.)

They also need one piece of paper and something to write with.

1. Draw a head on the board
2. Label specific body parts with numbers 1-6
    1. head
    2. eye
    3. ear
    4. mouth
    5. eye brow
    6. nose

3. All Ss roll their dice at the same time and draw the body parts on thier paper.
** Students must say both the number and body part in English! **

4. Ss must get a 1 first. They need a head to attach all the other parts to ;)
** Having to get the number 1 first makes it fun. **

5. The first S to finish drawing is the winner!

Once they've drawn the head, the game continues and you play again drawing the body.

1.neck
    2. body
    3. arm
    4. leg
    5. hand
    6. feet

This part is the same as above but first you need a neck, then a body, and obviously arms and legs before hands and feet.

It's a lot of fun. I hope you can use it.

When you're finished, you can then have them label some other parts of the drawn picture, shoulder, knee, elbow, back ...

Last edited by mesmark on Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:17 am
Profile WWW
MES-Addict

I am always looking out for games to play with my self-conscious pre-teens who don't want to play heads/shoulders/knees and toes.

Thanks a lot!

Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:52 pm
MES-Addict

Post Time
HOw long does this game usually take? I tried this game and it took quite a long time. Is that unusual or is that to be expected?

Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:27 pm
MES-Fanatic!

Post Re: Body Parts game
HI mark, that is a great idea, i dont think it will take me long to do this one, since i only teach privately. Thing is, my student already knows body parts, BUT i think a review would be good and this is a good idea to do my review with her, HOWEVER what i would like to teach her also is the health section which you have. I want to teach her using your health cards and so on, but dont know a fun way of teaching her health such as sore head etc, shes really bored with bingo, not that i played bingo much, she just doesnt seem interested in bingo,so maybe card games?? how do you usually teach your kids health?

Thanks for the ideas, i really appreciate the ideas and printables, i cant find any other site that is as useful as yours,,,honestly.

Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:05 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: Time
Duffin wrote:
HOw long does this game usually take? I tried this game and it took quite a long time. Is that unusual or is that to be expected?

It usually takes about 5-10 minutes. The first time it may take 10-15 minutes if you are explaining what to do in English and not their L1.

I generally model the activity while all the students watch.

If it took a long time, I assume you weren't having all the students roll their dice at the same time, right? If they're all rolling at the same time, it should go pretty quick and keep everyone involved.

I just edited the first post to explain that everyone should roll at the same time. Sorry about that.

caz wrote:
...what i would like to teach her also is the health section which you have. I want to teach her using your health cards and so on, but dont know a fun way of teaching her health such as sore head etc, shes really bored with bingo, not that i played bingo much, she just doesnt seem interested in bingo,so maybe card games?? how do you usually teach your kids health?

One-on-one is tough. How old is she?

I generally like to play Bingo (one-on-one versions www.mes-english.com/flashcards/bingo.php ), Othello, concentration, or board games ( www.mes-english.com/worksheets/flashcards/ ) but I try to space them out and have 2-3 per lesson. I can usually get in about 10 minutes of just doing/saying things in between.

I sometimes just play quick games, just to play something. They might not have anything to do with what we are doing. They may not even require any English. A short break and promise of something fun really helps in one-on-one classes with children. It's often a short refocusing activity that will help make the most of their time with you.

I also have some sticky suction-cup balls that we can throw around. I play darts with them using the white board. They also stick to laminated flashcards, so I've played a fishing game with them.

I'm posting a bunch of worksheets this week. I'll see if I can get the health worksheets up with the board game.

What have you done that has been successful?

Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:43 am
Profile WWW
MES-Zealot!

Post Great team game too!!
Hi Mark,

I tried that body game with a big dice ( those big soft ones ) and two teams.
The kids went silent as they all watched in anticipation which number
would come up....then there were "nooos" and lots of cheering when the right number came up.

I picked a captain and then the captain picked his/her team members. Everyone in the team got to roll the dice ( everyone had their turn depending on whose turn it was ) while the whole class of 12 watched the dice....I wish I had had a camera to take some snaps of their expressions!!

The game went on for a good 20 minutes but as they were enjoying it...I let them have fun and at the end told them to learn some body parts so that they could win some stars to stick in their books next Friday. I'm sure they will as they are really enthusiastic and want to learn anything. :D

I'll get them to play with the body cards next week....and all the groups are now going to play that body game....today it's a small group of 7 but I'm sure they'll have lots of fun. :D

Thanks for all your ideas and great games!!

Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:39 pm
Site Admin

mesmark wrote:
I'm posting a bunch of worksheets this week. I'll see if I can get the health worksheets up with the board game.

Done! www.mes-english.com/worksheets/flashcards/health.php

Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:13 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Fanatic!

HI mark, my last lesson based on body parts went well, we went over the body parts, (which she knew already) but just reviewed them, then i used the animal sheets which i got from your site, and we played the "3 hint game" i began with saying, i have 4 legs, long ears, and a tail,,,who am i?" and my 7 yo student liked this, this also gave her a chance to describe in english using body part words. Then i taught her the health worksheet again from your site :wink: and i asked her to pick a health card and without talking just actng, and i would say "whats wrong" and she would say "i have an ear ache", but shes shy so she didnt like the idea of acting, so she spotted your bingo cards which i had in my basket just incase we ran out of ideas or incase she got fed up with one of the games, she actually wanted to play bingo, that was a nice surprise, so we played that,,,again using the "what wrong" speech, THEN what i did was i prepared written cards to match the health cards and had her play a memory match she had to match the picture card with the written card so that too worked out well, and we all have a nice time. Thanks, i didnt use your game this time, cos i wanted to get as much as i could into the lesson considering i was doing body parts and health matters, and wasnt too sure how much she remembered, i figured your game may have taken up some time so,,,,but i definetly will use that game in the future. Your site is the best, you must`ve put so much work into it.

Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:39 pm
MES-Zealot!

caz wrote:
Your site is the best, you must`ve put so much work into it.

Caz,

Mark doesn't own his site anymore; his site owns him. ;-)

Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:32 pm
MES-Addict

Post Poke - stein
This is something interesting I found when I was surfing around. It's a pretty easy game, where you print out 2 handouts with tons of pokemon and have 2 dice then draw, mix and create a new pokemon. http://www.braisher.com/Pokemon.htm

Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:59 am
MES-Member

It sounds ok...
Thanks for the idea

Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:53 am
MES-Fanatic!

Post body parts drawing
HI mark, thanks for the drawing body parts game, my students loved the competition, and because they are drawing fast in order to win, their pictures look pretty funny. For my younger students i added a couple of adjectives such as big/small, and played the same as before, only after throwing the dice they pick a piece of paper which either had big or small written on it, and so again the pictures were hilarious,,,,also for my younger students, i cut out the pics from the body parts worksheet from your wonderful site, and i stuck them onto card and laminated them, and i attached pegs on each card, accept ears,eyes, mouth,nose, cos that would be pretty painful, i laid the cards out at one end of the classroom, and shouted out a body part and they had to race to find it and bring it back to me and stick it onto my body, but teams are good too, someone can volunteer to be the model. Oh and i read your drilling idea the other day, instead of just telling the Ss to repeat after you, (which does get boring) i laid out 4 cards, the students repeated the vocab, i then turned the cards face down, and asked the students if they could remmeber the first card the third card, etc, this was a breath of fresh air for me, cos Ss get bored real fast and they sometimes just repeat but dont pay attention, cos i found that they soon forgot the vocab after repeating it, so this was exciting, great idea thanks again. For some reason all of my japanese students cant remmeber ELBOW,,,,,???? haha.

Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:37 pm
MES-Zealot!

I did another version of this with my younger students and they loved it, espeically the boys.

After they have rolled the number they then toss the dice again anfd that is how many of the body part they draw for their monster.

So after they roll the one they then roll a 4, so they draw four heads.

The drawings were crazy. The students had a blast. I Threw in colors as well. Before they drew the body part I would shot out a color and that's the crayon they would use for that body part. That helped them to review other vocab.

Caz I like the idea of using other adjectives as well.

Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:58 am
MES-Addict

Lucky, I'm just doing body parts with my elementary students so I can definitely do this game.

Thanks for the idea.

Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:43 pm
Post Re: Body Parts game
mesmark wrote:
3. All Ss roll their dice at the same time and draw the body parts on thier paper.
** Students must say both the number and body part in English! **

4. Ss must get a 1 first. They need a head to attach all the other parts to ;)
** Having to get the number 1 first makes it fun. **

5. The first S to finish drawing is the winner!
. ...

THIS IS A GREAT IDEA for a game!!!!

thank you!!

:-D

Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next