MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Beginner Conversation Textbook 
MES-Member

Post Beginner Conversation Textbook
Hey there everyone,

One of my schools has asked me to buy a conversational textbook for my Middle School classes. The kids have a fairly low level of English and many stuggle with making sentences. Therefore, the book needs to have quite a bit of structured language for the students to work with, just giving them a list of vocab and a topic will not work! It would preferably engage the students interest as well, I.e, provide activities with topics that interest them! (This is difficult as they are classic 'too cool' teenagers ;)

Does anyone have any recommendations?

I read that the book 'Coversation Strategies' by Kehe & Kehe was OK, has anyone used this book?

Any advice?

Cheers, Mark

Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:17 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: Beginner Conversation Textbook
mjb237 wrote:
I read that the book 'Coversation Strategies' by Kehe & Kehe was OK, has anyone used this book?

I have the book. It's not bad. It might be a little difficult for your group if they can't really talk.

'Coversation Strategies' is more for intermediate level students. They can form sentences but need more help stringing them together into conversation.

I use some of the ideas with my high school students.

How about just using a regular textbook series like Interchange or Headway? They are designed for young adult to adult students.

Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:19 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Try looking through some of the publisher websites.

www.oup.com - Oxford University Press
- I just ordered exam copies for 'Get Together', 'American English File' and 'Engage' series. You can request up to 3 books at a time

www.cambridge.org - Cambridge University Press
- You have to send an email to a represenative, but I might try to get them to send me a couple samples from 'More' and 'Messages'. They are in the teen section

Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:32 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Zealot!

A problem with conversation text books is that the quite generalized international themes they tend to deal with often bore students, especially younger ones. It's the things that relate directly to the students' personal experience that tend to get things going in a conversation class.

So whatever book you choose, for the course to succeed, you'll probably have to come up with plenty of your own themes and strategies as well.

Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:29 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]