MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
First steps to writing? 
MES-Member

Post First steps to writing?
Hello everyone! I have a problem... I want to teach my nephew English but it turned out that I have no idea how to teach him to write words. He is 6 years old. Where do I start? What do you usually do to teach kids writing basics? Any advice? :)

Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:05 pm
MES-Addict

If he knows the letters, start by just giving a few words to write them again and again ( at least 5 times), and you can continue with phrases or even small sentences. If he doesn’t know the alphabet, start with A and a few words starting with A (airplane, apple, ant, alligator) and like that with a few words for every letter. To make it more interesting you could suggest drawing the pictures of the words next to them.

And like that for everything, from colors, numbers, members of the family, rooms in the house, animals, clothes… You learn writing with writing 

Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:14 am
MES-Member

:) Thank you for the answer! That's a grate advice! Do you know any games that might be used to teach writing? My nephew is very energetic, so just writing words would be hard for him; he would always want to get up and run around. So I think I need the lesson to be more captivating :roll:

Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:57 am
MES-Addict

I use the tracers from this site for the words. You could use them (they are in the vocabulary worksheets section)

http://www.mes-english.com/worksheets/f ... ghetti.php

or

http://www.mes-english.com/worksheets/f ... elling.php

and you could use the board games to motivate him. Ex. fruits board game

http://www.mes-english.com/worksheets/f ... rdgame.php

and whenever he steps on a space he should write the word.
You can use the crosswords also.

Writing by writing :D

I am glad to help you!

Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:55 am
MES-Addict

Sometimes with energetic boys it is easier to have them dictate a story to you, read it back and then copy it. Or make word cards so he can create sentences, then copy. Or letter cards to work on spelling. Writing with chalk, on a white board, with letter stamps is also fun for the energetic types. I had a "swap" journal with my boys. I would write them a little note and they would write back. They also liked cutting out or drawing their favorite cars (characters..) and then labeling them.

Many 6 year old boys are ready to sit with a pencil and write a lot, but they are full of ideas. You need to be creative to make it fun.

Hope that helps some.

Juli

Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:26 pm
MES-Member

Thank you for your advice! :) I'll try out all of them to see what's more effective :lol:

Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:56 pm
MES-Member

What had worked for me is teaching young learners by phonics, is an easy way for them. Try to teach him first the sound of letters of the alphabet not the name of them for example H as in hat, try to include special convinations as sh as in sheep; wh as in wheel;, ch as in chicken; th as thumb. When he is familiar with some sounds, teach him the sound of the vowels (both sounds, short and long) start with the short sound and find words that are easy to remeber, for example the short sound of vowel "a" as in at, fat, hat, mat, an, man, pan ; "e" en, men when. et, get pet, ed red fed; "i" in pin, it, sit bit etc. try to show him some pictures so he will get familiar with sound and also with pictures. Keep in mind that for some kids is easier to learn to read and then to write. This is a good method even in spanish.
My last advise is be patient and creative, soon he will be reading and writing.
I hope it will help you :-)

Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:01 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]