MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Choosing a textbook? 
MES-Member

Post Choosing a textbook?
Hey everyone,

I'm an elementary ESL teacher in South Korea. My school wants me (and the other foreign English teacher at my school) to choose a textbook for our after school classes. One class is grades 3-4 and the other is 5-6, and their levels are very varied.

What are some good text books? I'd appreciate any recommendations so much!

Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:33 pm
MES-Addict

I have used the Let’s Go series and found it to be quite good. There is also a teachers book that you can get so you don't have to do all the planning, comes in handy if you are a little short of time.

Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:36 pm
MES-Member

Yeah, we'll probably say Let's Go if nothing else comes up, but I think those are used a lot in the hagwons. We'd like to have something that's not familiar to them...

Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:07 pm
MES-Addict

I like the following:

"Incredible English" by Oxford University Press

"Go for It" by Heinle & Heinle

"Catch" by Richmond Publishing

"All of Us" by McGraw-Hill ESL/ELT

BTW what are you looking for in the textbooks (i.e. strong grammar focus, speaking, four skills, etc.)? What is the academic goal for the afternoon classes?

Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:12 pm
MES-Member

We pretty much get to choose the focus, but we want it to be speaking. (Of course, it's two classes per day five days per week of the same students, we we could probably cover the others some too.)

Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:37 am
Site Admin

If you visit the websites for Oxford University Press, Cambridge Press and others, they'll send you up one copy of any book (up to three requests at a time.) Then you can take a look and see which one you like best.

Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:31 am
Profile WWW
MES-Member

Are you sure we can get the free samples in Korea? I've been searching those web sites but I can't figure out how to do it...

Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:07 am
MES-Addict

BTW, I think E*Public is the distributor for Oxford University Press in Korea. Try going here http://www.oxford.co.kr/eng/ho/ho.html to request copies.

Have you visited EFL bookstores like Kim & Johnsons, English Plus, Kyobo Bookstores in Korea? They have a great selection of EFL coursebooks, readers, Teacher resources, etc..

Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:28 pm
MES-Addict

I like the "Let's Go" (Picture Dictionary) for vocab

and the old "Matsuka Phonics" books (Don't know if they even make them any more??)

Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:08 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Addict

Well, I don't know if in your country do exist but I'm using the Surprise collection and they are really cool. Catching songs, meaning contents and motivating activities.
The surprise collection is from Oxford university publishing.

Thu May 07, 2009 4:28 pm
MES-Addict

Ive recently started using English Land books, 1 and 2. They are very good because they use lots of disney characters, so kids seem a lot omre interested copared to previous books ive tried.

Tue May 12, 2009 8:50 am
MES-Addict

We use We Can! and All of Us. We Can moves rather quickly and is for younger ages. All of Us is made for classes like yours where they meet more than once a week. I like the Newcomer Phonics for older kids, but that is for reading and writing.
Juli

Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:55 am
MES-Addict

Post textbooks
Hi,
I've been using 'Sprint' by Richmond publishing for the last two years with my ESL kids and I find it excellent. It's just the right level for kids and its challenging but at the same time keeps at the kids level and doesn't make any big jumps. There are 5 (or 6) levels from grade 1 to 6 and the student book and workbook can be used for a year. One little bonus that it has that makes it a bit different is that it includes a cut out folder. The cut out folder is full of activities that compliment the student and workboom pages and reinforce what the kids have learnt. You might want to look it up.

Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:51 pm
MES-Member

I have a lesson plan based in the Multiple Intelligence Theory if you want it send me a message

Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:01 pm
Site Admin

I have a lesson plan based in the Multiple Intelligence Theory if you want it send me a message

Barry358 - Welcome to the forums!

If you have a lesson plan to share, please post it or about it. We'd love to hear about it. It will be very helpful to everyone who reads the forums.

Happy teaching,
Mark

Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:34 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next