MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Questions for your all 
MES-Member

Post Questions for your all
I have been teaching for some time now and have just recently come accross the term "false-beginner". I am stumped as to know the meaning of a false beginner. If someone could kindly shed light on the meaning it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:04 pm
MES-Member

Post Answer Found!!
Thank you all who viewed my post. After a few days I figured I would search the internet for the answer and this is what I found:

False beginners are often people who've done English at school, often didn't enjoy it as see it as grammar exercises, verb tables, etc.

So, they're "rusty", but may develop skills very quickly as memories surface. especially when they realise English is a useful and enjoyable communication method.

There may be various answers but this helped me out.

Thanks anyway.

Kenthany
Kdimension

Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:19 am
Site Admin

We try to classify English learners into groups. Here are the groupings and how I understand them.

true beginner
- knows no English. Maybe a true beginner knows a few vocabulary words and maybe a couple structures.

false beginner
- knows some vocabulary and a some basic structures, but can't use even simple grammar without mistakes.
(It really has nothing to do with having studied before, but people who have studied English before and have forgotten most of what they learned would fall into this category.)

lower/pre- intermediate
- have good knowledge of basic grammar. They can function in information exchange conversations (ordering in a restaurant, asking for directions, buying something in a store), but with some difficulty.

intermediate
- have a working knowledge of higher level structures. They have a larger vocabulary and they can hold regular daily conversations with little trouble. They still make simple mistakes with sentence construction but have a decent grasp of higher level grammar. They would still be studying some sentence constructions.

upper/high intermediate
- have a fairly complete understanding of English grammar and have a large vocabulary. They can have daily conversations with easy and can function in higher level (specialty) discussions, but with some difficulty. their speak pace is fairy fluent, but they still make minor grammar errors.

advanced
- have a full working knowledge of English grammar and a very broad vocabulary. They can hold both daily and specialty conversations with ease. They are fluent conversationalist and struggle only with expressions, idioms and some vocabulary.

I think that's right, but as you can see there is a lot of gray in between the levels. Sometimes it's hard to place a learner into one of those divisions.

Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:11 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Member

Post THANKS
Mark,

Thanks for the help. I now can assess my students English level and internally catagorize them. Thanks again.

Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]