MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
The Skit Kit 
Site Admin

Post The Skit Kit
There's a new activity posted for creating stories, dialogues and skits:

The Skit Kit

You build a crazy story using flashcards from various different headings. Then help students to convert that into a dialogue and into a skit if you have the time.

This is posted in the games section, but I didn't really know what to do with it. That's the best place I could find for it :)

Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:37 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

If you are already using MES flashcards, you won't need to print anything out. You can create your skit kit with those flashcards or any other flashcards.

I stated that briefly on the Skit Kit page but I don't want to break up my current sets. So, for ease of use, I created new cards, all with the same backings.

You can also do this activity with just strips of paper and the vocabulary written on the paper. However if you use images, the students feel more free and can use any number of expressions to work in the vocabulary to the story.

This has worked really well with my junior high and high school groups. I follow the activity written out. First they script out a story. Then they become the characters in their story and script out a dialog. Finally, they present their skit.

In the beginning, it's best to use less cards. Less cards makes the activity easier and more or all of the cards makes it a bit more challenging.

Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:43 am
Profile WWW
MES-Member

The activity you have suggested is fabulous.

A variation to the story making could be that the students actually play with the cards as any other card game is played. The students are divided into groups of, say, 4-6. Each student has 4-5 cards in his/her hand. One of the student starts by placing one of the cards onto the desk and giving the beginning to the story. The next one follows the story until he comes to say the word displayed in one of his cards, and only then places it next to the first card. From time to time, they are supposed to briefly revise the whole story from the beginning, so they do not lose track of it.

If it's the students' first time, they usually think that the two cards should be connected by one single sentence. It's important to tell them that they could continue their story and go on and on until they have the opportunity to use the next word.

e.g. suitcase, hospital
They would say: I have a suitcase. I left it in the hospital.
While i want them to be more imaginative and say: I have a suitcase. I saw it one day and decided to travel ... blah, blah ... As i was passing the town hospital, I saw ...

Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]