MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
What's your classroom like? 
MES-Zealot!

Post What's your classroom like?
I was just wondering what everyones' class room situation is like?

Do you have your own room? Do you move between classrooms? Can you put things up? etc.

MY 1st year and a half at my present school I taught in the science room. (Except for kindie's as I go to their room.) It was a nightmare.

The students sat at the science desks, so some of them had their backs to me or each other, other were sitting righte across from their friends/enemies so they were always playing/fighting. They would always be reaching into the science shelf under the table and playing with the stuff there. Uuuugh!

Also I couldn't put anything up on the walls or leave anything in the room so I had to carry the stuff between my office and the classroom. This was particulary stressful beause some times activities would not be going as planned and even though I always overplan, envitably I would have to go back to the office to get something new or something I forgot.

However, the teaching gods have smiled upon me. I have been moved to the llbrary which is also now my office and classroom. My school is real small and the studnets (sadly) rarely take advantage of al the books.

Anyway now I have all my books and other resources (read wonderful mes-english flashcards, bingo boards, etc :D ) right at my finger tips. In addition, I can put hings up on the wall etc.

It's wonderful. I bought velcro tape and I have posted the large cards that we are studying at the time around the room. It's so great to just be ablle to point to a card as opposed to shuffling through them trying to find the one I want.

The only drawbacks are it's pretty small and at present there is no white board or large tv monitor for the computer.

But I am one happy teacher!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:41 pm
MES-Addict

What I have been doing the past couple years is visiting each classroom and teaching the students in their home rooms. This is what all the teachers in the middle school do. It can be inconvenient sometimes if I forget something and have to run all the way down to the office to get it or if someone screws up the classroom computer and I can't use it for the lesson I had planned.

But I have recently been informed that my school is building and English classroom. Which basically means that I will be teaching all my classes there and will finally be able to put some things up on the walls and leave things in the room permanently.

Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:46 pm
MES-Addict

I have my own room. I cleared it of desks, which although has its ups and its downs makes life pretty convenient. I also keep all the sentence and picture cards from the previous subject up on the walls so that the kids are still seeing/ reviewing them. I’ve done the hear-there-and-everywhere thing too, and it’s definitely great having my own space! Although I definitely preferred arriving at the homerooms in my own time (i.e., on time!) as opposed to the classes arriving at my room in theirs (rarely on time).

Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:30 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Addict

I finally have my own space to design my classroom. Lots of things on the walls, tables, chairs, a whiteboard... everything I need. It is wonderful to have your own space instead of having to teach out of a knapsack!!

Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:19 pm
MES-Addict

My old friend taught students in his living room before because he had to. I thought it looked really comfortable and casual so I made mine look like a tacky Hawaiian themed living room and everyone loves it.

I hate white walls and chairs and desks so I have none. :mrgreen:

Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:54 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Addict

I teach out of a bag. I move between schools and it is really hard. I seem to have had the flu all winter as I was rushing around from inside to outside and every classroom has a different temperature.
I often forget something as I have only 15 minutes to get to the next school, which really messes me up, as I them arrive without something and get get it back until the following week.
I feel like a donkey sometimes with my very heavy bag, cd player, big books and laminated posters. :shock:

Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:48 am
MES-Addict

I teach in individual classrooms... but often I just take my kids to the gym or outside and teach there.

It's kind of untraditional, especially for Japan, but a lot more high energy games can be done in these larger areas. My theory is that once 5th period hits the kids aren't going to be very productive no matter what. I can fight them in a classroom where they are all either roudy or asleep, or I can put them in a more open area and give them a task that involves English + a lot of running around and throwing balls.

I sometimes have to fight with the school to be allowed to do this, but it is definitely better, especially for elementary. (I teach elementary through junior high). My elementary kids can't read or write, and the school insists I don't teach reading or writing til 5th and 6th grade.

Once you remove reading and writing, your left with speaking, listening, and inter-culture based activities and not that many speaking and listening games can be done inside a classroom with 36 students.

I use about 6 games (bingo variations, the paper game, battleship, spud, fruit basket, katura, and simon says variations). I repeat these games a lot, with different twists or goals. Since I only see each group once a week, it helps to use the same games (instead of re-explaining rules every week).

We do other games and crafts sometimes, but those 6 games are my bread and butter.

With J.H. kids, we work out of a book. Usually about half the class is spent doing things directly out of the book, and the other half is spent playing games that support the things we are learning in the book. Here I usually play in the gym, or do paper-sheet based games in the classroom. Sometimes I like to take them outside, if it's a super nice day. The staff finds this wierd and I think they'd rather I not do it, but I get my lessons finished and I think the teacher who gets them next has a much more focused and happy class.

Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:54 am
MES-Member

I move from class to class. Each day is different than the one before. But my classes only have 10 students in them. Working at a private academy is nice that way. At my school we don't really post things on the walls because every hour there is a different group of students coming in.

Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:21 pm
MES-Addict

Hi! This year I'm lucky to have an English classroom for my own but it's so small. Children can't hardly move in it but at least I can have half the group for doing intensive English. I have two hours of English classes per group (too few!!!). One hour is made with the whole group (25 children) in the ordinary classroom and the second hour in the mini English Classroom. When I'm in the English classroom I can have all the material in it but when I have to go to the ordinary class I have to carry the Radio-CD player, the flashcards, worksheets and everything. It's so tiring! But, well, I have deal with it.

Carles

Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:10 pm
MES-Addict

Post In France
In France, primary school teachers are supposed to teach english in their own class. However, not all of us have the skills to do it.

Therefore, I teach my own class where I can let posters... and 2 other classes where I have to go meanwhile the other teachers come into mine to teach geography for example. In these cases, I can still make arrangements with my colleagues to have a part of the room devoted to english.

Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:13 am
MES-Member

I've got my own room but as there are so many pupils. They all just come once a week so that all the pupils have the chance to go to the English class. The second lesson is given in their own class.

Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]