MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
what is more important??? 
MES-Member

Post what is more important???
Hi, everone

i am a would-be teacher. i have a question here, what is more important, teacher's knowledge or teacher's characteristic?

Recently, i have found that some well-qualified teacher are not very popular among students. but some teachers with good temper or who is very humurous are well welcomed. When the students evalutate the teachers at the end of every semaster, they will say"well, she is knowledgeable, but l dont like her very much." Other will say"his lesson is very interesting,but i can not learn mch from him."

So, what shall we do as teachers???

:) yoyo

Thu May 11, 2006 10:16 pm
Site Admin

Well, I think if you have both talent and charm you're on the road to success, but I would have to say character is probably more important for children up to junior high. High school or after, students can see that a teacher is good at what they do and might respect them for that, but again charm is still very important.

I personally think appearance and character are a key in any line of work involving people. Appearance can and does mean anything from outward appearance to the attitude you put on. That attitude can be false and therefore the appearance of different characteristics. I act differently in various settings. I'm much different in children's classes as opposed to JHS, adult, and when I'm out with my friends. NOT fake --> appropraite.

Also, having a good relationship with colleagues, students, management and parents is always a good thing. I don't think it covers up poor performance but generally those teachers don't perform poorly. Having that nice relationship makes teaching easier, students more attentive and students might work harder because they don't want to let you down if they respect/like you.

Fri May 12, 2006 7:11 am
Profile WWW
MES-Fanatic!

I once attented a seminar which was dealing with this topic. The conclusion of it was that in order to teach English you need all three parameters: good knowledge of English , good knowledge of methodology and personal charisma .
Having a good, inspiring encouraging relationship with the students, no matter what their age might be, is crucial. On thie other hand just the realtionship will not lead the students to knowledge, and on the long run what students need to get from a teacher is progress in their knowledge. In order to help them along on that road the teacher has to know how to teach, how learning occurs, what is the best way that might get students to knowledge.
So maybe the conclusions of that seminar are true. To be a good teacher we need everything.
I personally feel that beyond all this what is needed is love. Love for teaching and love for the students. Only a teacher who keeps experimenting to get to be a good teacher is in fact a good one.

Fri May 12, 2006 11:40 pm
MES-Zealot!

I think you have to be careful (speaking from my own experience)

as some people do lots of study (maybe too much?) and when they actually do the real teaching they freak out for a while
or can't relax very much but that same teacher 1 or 2 years down
the track will be much more relaxed and still has the head knowledge to fall back on.

ie If you meet this green teacher (maybe only 1 year or so out of Uni) they might appear to be lacking in as you call it "character"
but if you meet them in 2 years time they will probably be different, more relaxed, confident etc

But of course no 2 humans are the same, some will be good teachers so won't, thats life .... I think its very hard to make a cold choice between the two
yes you need both in balance :smt004

Wed May 17, 2006 2:36 pm
MES-Member

Actually, i am a student in Captital Normal University in Beijing, China. Since we dont have chances to go to local middle schools to do real teaching practices, i do think i need to know more from real teachers.So i thank you very much. :D

it is the ideal condition that we both have knowledge of english,teaching and personal charisma. So, there is no easy job,i think.

so would you please give me some suggestions of what i should do now as a student? How could i get prepared for being a teacher? and how could i be more competiitve among peers?

i am expecting your advice!!! :P

Wed May 17, 2006 6:25 pm
MES-Member

By the way, Manuela could you please give me more information about the seminar you attended? i want to know more about it, some details.

thanks a lot!!!!! :D

Fri May 19, 2006 2:02 pm
Site Admin

It's tough to say what will give you an edge over the competition because most university graduates come out with pretty similar backgrounds.

Some ideas might be:
- power point lessons ready for the environment you want to work in
- a teaching blog where you tutor ESL students (experience)
- a Skype/YIM/MSN Messenger or similar tutoring group (experience)
- an ESL student-teachers' website: write about your experiences, give advice to future students, and maybe a forum where they could seek help with assignments. You can start with your classmates at the school you're in now.

Can you tell I'm into 'tech'y things :D
Any of those above will look very good on a resume.

If your looking for help with teaching ideas, try posting some of your assignments and answers here. We can all take a look and try to help you out. There are definitely some differences from the 'virtual' uni classroom and the real world kids.

It would also be a nice refresher for us and maybe give us a chance to get some new ideas and opinions.

Fri May 19, 2006 9:08 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Fanatic!

For the student in Bejing, I admire your search for knowledge. You are on track by questioning those that have been in the classroom but until you actually experience what works and what doesn't work, you won't become the teacher you aspire to be. Good Luck!

Sat May 20, 2006 10:40 pm
MES-Fanatic!

I can surely explain in more detail about the seminar. The lecturer had brought sticks of three colours and different lengths. THe red sticks represented knowledge of language, the green sticks methodology, the yellow sticks the personal charisma. You could only make big triangles, representing the "good teacher" by using three long sticks. If one of the sticks was short than the triangle formed was small, suggesting a teacher of poor quality. As you can see there isn't much more to add to those already mentioned in my previous reply.
I personally believe that beyond those three components good classroom management skills are required as well. If you cannot control the behaviour of the class then no learning at all can happen. A good site to visit in order to learn about that component is
www.behavioradvisor.com (Dr. Mac's Amazing Behavior advisor site)
Why don't you visit this site, which is free and learn about ways to control the behavior of students, a much needed skill, I find.
[/quote]

Wed May 24, 2006 1:41 am
Knowledge first, and then methodology - character will of course count, but it's probably more a factor in choosing teaching as a vocation.
I have met many teachers who are liked by the students, and consider that that is enough. It's not - they need the knowledge to teach and assess their own teachign first.

Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:46 am
MES-Member

knowledge is important of course and a sense of humour. Make them laugh!! :lol:

Michèle

Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:46 pm
MES-Member

Sorry I've forgotten one of the most important thing!

Michèle

Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:02 pm
MES-Addict

I think they are all important! As far as experience you should try teaching private students or classes at local community centers. They are not the same as a school experience but you can get your feet wet and maybe pick up on somethings that will help you later.

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]