MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Games, activities, etc. for teaching idioms to Pre-K to 1 
MES-Member

Post Games, activities, etc. for teaching idioms to Pre-K to 1
I haven't had any luck in finding material for teaching cultural and
language patterns and norms in American English; such pattern and norms to include levels of formality, idioms, and humor. I can't believe New York State wants this taught at the Pre-K to 1st Grade level.

Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:03 am
Site Admin

I guess my first question is what idioms are we talking about? Is that for you to decide?

Are they talking about true idioms or do they lump phrasal verbs in there?

Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:01 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Member

I guess my first question is what idioms are we talking about? Is that for you to decide?

Are they talking about true idioms or do they lump phrasal verbs in there?
They don't specify which idioms and they don't mention phrasal verbs at all. I'm thinking perhaps they want the concept of idioms taught since there are so many idioms and most of them are going to be way over the heads of most 3-6 year-olds.

Then there's that whole levels of formality thing...

Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:19 am
Site Admin

Wouldn't it be best to just teach them to use polite/formal expressions all the time and then let them work out the less polite forms for themselves? It shouldn't take long.

For Mr./Ms./Mrs. couldn't you just take them around the staff room and introduce the teachers? I'm not sure something like that really needs a concrete lesson. Another, idea is get pictures of their parents, blow them up and ask kids who they think they are. Then you could say, 'Yes, this is Mr. XYZ or this is Ms. ABC. Maybe just do one a day for several weeks.

For polite requests, I just play Go Fish. I have the students ask each other 'Do you have any gorillas?' and if 'Yes.' they have to ask 'May I have it?' or 'Can I have it?'

You could play with them and stress that to a teacher they should ask 'May/Could I have it?' and with fellow students they should ask 'Can I have it?'

I have done an 'Excuse me. I'm sorry.'/'That's OK.' mosh-pit activity with younger groups. I have an exercise time part of my lesson and there we just start bumping into each other. Younger kids are pretty tame but as they get older, it's better to separate into a boys group and girls group.

Restaurant role plays with customers and waiters is a good way to practice '..., please.' or 'I would like ...?', 'Thank you.', 'You're welcome.' as well as the above.

I also make sure I use those types of simple polite requests in class.

But, doesn't their usage of this kind of language really depend on the community at large, their parents, and the people around them? If other people, their parents, kids, and the community use these phrases then they'll pick them up, but if that's not the case, they won't. Are you just supposed to make them aware of the differences in styles?

Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:10 am
Profile WWW
MES-Member

Thanks.

At present I'm preparing lesson plans for a thematic unit taught over the course of five days but using differentiated instruction (adapting the instruction to each student based on ability/readiness, learning style and/or interests). This part is just one part of the unit and would be taught during a single classroom session. The thematic unit will cover aspects cross-cultural knowledge and understanding (Standard 5 of the New York State ESL for Pre-K to Grade 1). Each of the five days would cover one or more (in this case, the first) of the performance indicators within the standard. In case you're interested, here are the standards: http://www.emsc.nysed.gov/biling/resour ... 2Early.pdf

Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]