MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
too many ideas, so little time! 
MES-Zealot!

Post too many ideas, so little time!
Hi! I have a class beginning soon and I need some ideas. They are a group of 2nd year Senior High students from Tokyo coming to Australia for their summer holidays. They will only be here for 2 weeks, and I will only have around 15 hours of ESL lesson time. It's not much. I think I'll teach them about Australian money, animals, some of the things they'll need to know to about Aust culture in order to get along with their host families, and that sort of thing. In the second week, we need to spend an entire period, at least, doing thank you cards. There's so many things I think would be useful to teach them in that time, but since my time with them is very limited, I need some help. What do you suggest I should include in lessons? Should I make it fun? Lots of games?

Thanks in advance!!!!

Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:43 am
MES-Addict

If the lessons are taking place in Australia, you have a chance that most EFL teachers don't get- to have the students actually use the language. I don't know if it's possible, but I'd think taking advantage of the environment would be a good idea, talking to shopkeepers or something. Going to an information desk and asking for help, that kind of thing. I don't have any solid ideas, it just seems like there should be a way to use the chance for some real speaking, and I bet if you talked to some local businesses they'd be willing to spare some time for your kids.

Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:59 pm
MES-Zealot!

I guess you're right there!! I hadn't actually thought of that :oops:

I contacted some local shops and they're not too keen on the idea with the larger groups but it will work with smaller ones. With the larger groups, I'm looking at taking them to the school tuck-shop (lunch room, canteen - whatever people call it!) That should work nicely. And when we go to the city, I've made a scavenger hunt type of thing. They have to ask certain questions at information booths and in shops, and also ask directions from total strangers in the mall!

By the way, I have another question.....

Being 16-17 year olds, the first group I'll be taching should be competent at self-intros, right?? I mean, they should be able to stand up and say a few things about themselves without prompts, shouldn't they? With the JHS kids I always get them to fill out a sheet and then get up and read it as they are not so sure of themselves, but I'm figuring that high school kids should be able to at least say, "My name is___________. I am _____ years old. There are ___ people in my family. My hobbies are __________. My favourite food is________. " etc.

It would save a lot of time not doing the writing exercise with them!

Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:31 pm
Site Admin

It shouldn't be a problem to have them do self-intros. You might have a hard time getting them to do it, but just have them play rock-paper-scissors if you can't find any volunteers. :D RPS is like law in Japan.

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:09 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Zealot!

Since they are going to be talkig about themselves likes, things they do etc. I feel it's good to practice that.

I recently taught a grioua high school students going to Canada fro a month. For one lesson I used the Big Town cards. They loved playing the game suggested by Mark and they kept playing even after the class was finished.

We did the game 1st with them pretending tpo be the character and tje second time they introuced the character as a friend.

Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]