MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
TOEIC - any ideas? 
MES-Member

Post TOEIC - any ideas?
I've been teaching a small group TOEIC. I use one of the preparation books, do the listening in the class and check the reading section. They took the test for the first time last month, and they are still pretty low - about 450. I just cannot make the class more fun or informative for some reason. When I teach conversation, I do lots of role-play or games but with TOEIC I don't have any ideas. Does anyone teach TOEIC? If so, how do you teach? What are some effective tips? thanks.

Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:34 am
Profile YIM
Site Admin

I think classes based around standardized tests are pretty much just what you said.

You need to get a practice book and take some practice tests. There are generally some hints and strategies in those and if you find an area of weakness with your group or specific students, you can design some activities around those, but in general, it's just test taking training with explanation.

I don't really like to do those for extended periods, maybe 1 month.

If they are pretty low level and want to continue, maybe encourage them to change the class to regular English competence classes and have short stents with TOEIC training just before they go for the test again.

Last edited by mesmark on Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:56 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Member

thanks a lot, mark.. I also got some hints from your latest podcast. I appreciate it. :-)

Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:04 am
Profile YIM
MES-Zealot!

It's tough to liven up exam-prep lessons. What I sometimes do is plod through the boring stuff for the first three-quarters of the lesson, then have conversations and role-plays as in a General English lesson, but all relating to themes that typically come up in the exam.

Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:59 am
Profile WWW
MES-Addict

One activity I always have done in teaching TOEIC is to take time to tackle phrasal verbs. TOEIC, as well as TOEFL tests students quite rigorously on their ability to identify and understand phrasal verbs. There are some great textbooks that have come out in the past few years that tackle this area. The one I like best is called "The Ultimate Phrasal Verb Book". Just punch that into amazon.com and you'll be on your way.

Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:30 pm
MES-Addict

With my students I use a standardized TOEIC book, but I also use another text called "Spectrum 5" that id really recommend. It's much more out-of-the-book writing activities and the like, which you can either do as speech or set for homework. I also require my students to plan a 10min presentation (the subject is up to them) for the beginning of each lesson, from which I take notes of problems/ grammatical errors.

Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:28 am
Profile WWW
MES-Addict

Thanks for the update. I will check out that text.

Mark G

Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:01 pm
MES-Member

Yes, I agree. Phrasal verbs are very important and my students have hard time memorizing them. I'll check out the book!

Thanks Julian,

I'll look into the textbook you mentioned. Also, the presentation is a great idea! I'll try that out!

Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:26 pm
Profile YIM
MES-Member

We have great success with the website at onlineenglish.eu which we use in class for TOEIC preparation students. Naturally you need a computer. We also offer this website free with all our training courses to give our students the ability to continue their study outside class, a great incentive to train with us.

The website takes a unique approach by first estimating the student's TOEIC score level. It also gives the students level per question type which we use to see where they need to learn.

Depending on the situation, we can then group the students per level or in question type groups for training. It makes life so much easier.

We set the areas for training which students complete by doing the exercises on the website, our teachers then having more time to concentrate on those with more demanding needs.

Through the training students regularly complete the estimate test, a 45 minute test with 112 questions. This test lets us see the student's progress and gives them additional practice.

Timing is also a very important factor and naturally getting accustomed to the feel of the test. On the website the also have a full 2 hour simulated TOEIC test which we use to finalize training, as a passing out test I suppose you could say, but students can do it as often as they wish.

The estimates the website has given for our students have been very accurate, in fact slightly under what they actually achieved. But this is a good thing creating only happy students that then get more than they expect.

I suppose there are many ways to use the website, go and have a look yourselves. Ignore the prices, just send them an email. They are always willing to offer discounts to schools.

If you want to market the website to your existing contacts such as companies, you can also earn comission. I got 800 € for nothing. I just showed it to one of our contacts who has since started using it.

Have a great day guys ... happy training ..

Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]