MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
"Steal the Conversation" game success! 
MES-Member

Post "Steal the Conversation" game success!
Thanks Teacher Talk!
The game "Steal the Conversation" in a recent podcast was a general success in my classroom this morning. It was the first time I had played it and went in a bit unprepared, but it worked out well.

4 Ss - 3 Spanish speakers and 1 Hungarian.

Of course, the Latin Americans ruled at it as they hardly need an excuse to speak! But with some careful classroom management and encouragement (directed towards the overwhelmed Hungarian S), it was evenly matched.
IMO, the key was to emphasise the fact that they were self-policing - basically fault finding in their classmates (they seldom pay that much attention in the class) and I did make it clear that fluency is what is being practised here.

The game follows the basic format of a 35 year old radio show here in England Called "Just a Minute". I made the mistake of not having Ss quote their reason for stealing/ interrupting before continuing, nor was I keeping time correctly, but that turned out not to be very important.

What a warm up game. I highly recommend it if you have Ss of the correct ability level.

Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:57 pm
Site Admin

Great! We're glad the game worked out for you.

If others are curious what that game might be, hop on over to www.eslteachertalk.com and check it out!

http://www.eslteachertalk.com/2007/08/l ... 0articles/

- Mark

Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:25 am
Profile WWW
MES-Member

You mention that you didn't keep time so well, and that students interrupted without providing a reason. But you're absolutely right: It doesn't matter. After a few hesitant starts, usually the classes get right into this one. Glad the game worked out for you!

Chris Cotter
www.headsupenglish.com

Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:51 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]