MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Teaching Children vs. Teaching Adults 
Site Admin

Post Teaching Children vs. Teaching Adults
Listen to the show.

A new co-host, Clive, squares off with Mark about which is better teaching children or teaching adults. Mark prefers teaching children and has some suggestions for Clive's problems in children's classes. Then Clive, who prefers teaching adults, offers Mark some suggestions for Mark's problems with adult classes.

Clive will be appearing on the show from time to time and we're very glad to have him. In the first segment of the show we learn about Clive and what he's doing in Italy. He runs eslpodcards.com and if you haven't been by there yet, stop by and take a look around. Clive explains how to use the articles, listening and worksheets you can find in the Podcard lessons.

Game of the Week: True or False

This is a game that requires little to no preparation. It practices question formation as well as reasoning and being convincing in English. The game is described as practice for past simple but can be easily adapted to suit the present, present perfect, future and more. It's up to your imagination. Have fun!

Last edited by mesmark on Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:34 am
Profile WWW
MES-Member

Children use their imaginations constantly and have greater access to "sub-conscious". They also learn from experience what it means to new concepts must first be seen, heard and tried to understand. Adults are rational, logical and objective, and advance the detailed explanations. This makes them more suitable for studying the theory of distance from the instrument. Also have a capacity of more attention than children, and resistance to the activity. Children need changes in concentration often to maintain interest in the task.

Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:28 pm
MES-Member

I wrote on another thread about motivating young students with play money and having a small shop where they can spend it.
I have had it up and running for 4 weeks now and I must say that the students are respondingly incredibly well. ( I feel a bit guilty they should be learning for learning's sake and all that) The parents are very impresesed.
Another thing that is working well is that the weaker students can also win money through games of chance and this has encouraged them to try harder as the money doesn't just go to the stronger students.
I really enjoy setting up the shop, shopping for interesting stuff.
I am lucky in that I have access to some very cool stuff for practically next to nothing.
I have started teaching 2 companies and I must say I much prefer the kids. I do games and roleplaying much the same as I do with the kids but the kids get it ,the adults don't. Last evening a student asked me how could she improve her spoken English as her boss said she speaks Chinglish.
The children respond to a situation in the appropriate English, they don't translate in their minds. I tried to explain this, that through our activities I am actually drilling you. (sigh).
I am being a bit longwinded but I haven't visited the forum since the holidays and basically wanted to touch base

Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:36 pm
MES-Member

Kids are a lot more outgoing and want to have fun, which is nice.

I think that if you are teaching adults with a reasonable grasp on the english language alerady, then this will almost always be far more rewarding. However, if you are teaching adults who are at a very low level, you will almost certainly find teaching kids both more rewarding and enjoyable.

Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:24 am
MES-Member

Post kinect
Last week I bought the new X Box game Kinect and played it with the kids classes all weekend they had a ball, good to hear them laughing uncontrollably and bringing up that flem in their lungs, that has been lying dormant over the Summer.
If you are teaching sports it is fantastic. Dance Central was a laugh and the older kids are more reluctant of course.

Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:29 pm
MES-Addict

I have to agree that teaching adults who have a grasp of English is rewarding. They stay focused and are more motivated. On the other side, kids are not as inhibited and are easier to get invovled in participating in class.

Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:02 am
MES-Addict

Post Re: Teaching Children vs. Teaching Adults
I have not listened to the show as i do not have much time what with the classes and preparing resources for my classes but as i teach both adults and children. i find teaching children more rewarding as they appear to learn faster i also enjoy my lessons with children more especially the younger ones as seeing their smile when they have been praised for doing something well makes it all worth while and even more so when the parents tell you the child can not wait to come to class even on days when he she is not supposed to.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]