MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Spiders and Candy 
Site Admin

Post Spiders and Candy
Spiders and Candy is a new game! It's a vocabulary game that is great for 2-4 year olds. However, it can be played with older children (up to about 10 years old.)

www.mes-english.com/games/spidersandcandy.php

Kids love this game and it's so simple. I played for 1 hour with my own children (3 and 6) with out them getting bored. They would have played longer, but it was snack time :)

It's good for low number classes and even one-on-one classes. The best part is it's a game 2 year olds can play.

If you have any questions or suggestions for more items, post them here.

Sun May 06, 2007 3:26 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Member

Sounds like a good game, I will try it with my students with an intellectual disability as well as the younger kids.
Thanks

Sun May 06, 2007 9:01 pm
MES-Fanatic!

Yesterday I tried it with my 2-year-olds and it was fantastic:) I hardly ever use any mother tongue during the classes and the most difficult thing was to make them turn around and not peep when i was putting the s/c under flashcards, hehe. But then it was terrific, they were shouting words like mad to get the candies. My suggestion: enlarge the candies and spiders for children of this age, the bigger the better;) I sort of specialize in this age group and know what i'm saying, :lol:

Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:30 pm
Site Admin

... I tried it with my 2-year-olds and it was fantastic:) ...

Yeah, I don't know what it is, but it works like magic. This game idea actually came to me after playing Treasure Island. I wondered how I could harness the same enthusiams for younger kids. Then, I came up with the Candy and Spiders game.

It actually started out as Bombs and Treasures. The students were treasure hunters. However, I had one class where a 3 year old was too scared to play because he didn't want to get a bomb. Then, I realized how inappropriate it was and at that age level they don't care about treasure, but will climb mountains for candy :D

So, it was a rocky start but the game ended up great in my opinion.

Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:54 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Zealot!

Sounds like fun! I'm not teaching any really little kids at the moment, but I'll file this game away for when I might need it in the future. I have a couple of Q's. Have you tried it with older kids eg. Junior High?

Do you ever give the winner real candy?

Which spiders are the cute ones?? :wink: They all give me the creeps!!

Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:23 pm
MES-Fanatic!

I haven't been around for a while and came looking for something new for a younger set. I haven't had preschoolers for many years so I'm a bit rusty. This looks good and once again I was impressed by the quality! I used to play a game called Oh, No, Poor Joe! Anyone know it or are the cards somewhere to be printed out?
Cynde

Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:05 am
MES-Zealot!

Is that the game where you have many drawings of a guy and each one has a different body part missing? The students have to say, "Oh no, poor Joe. He has no legs!" etc. I don't know where you'd get the cards. Perhaps you'd need to make them yourself.

Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:23 pm
MES-Fanatic!

Yes that's the one! I made a set years ago and I think making a new set with all my computer savvy will be a lot easier this time. I just wondered if there was a ready set somewhere. If I go ahead and make one I wonder if I can post it somewhere here...? (So savvy I am not)
Cynde

Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:27 pm
MES-Zealot!

Can't help you with how to post it here. I'm not that computer savvy either. Maybe Mark or someone else could tell you. It's great that you'd be prepared to share your work. Good on you!!

Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:04 pm
MES-Zealot!

http://www.abcstuff.com/cgi/Web_store/w ... &keywords=

It looks like a great game. Please share the rules. It looks
like something that can be adapted to face parts and even
family members

Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:00 pm
MES-Fanatic!

Yeah, that's it. You have a set of flash cards and each one has something missing. Why not have face cards too? You all chant, 'Oh, No! Poor Joe! He's got no ...........(kids chant, 'arms!' or 'legs' or whatever is missing.) It's a sing-songie chant and the kids always loved it.
It would be easy enough to print out (or draw) a paper doll http://www.makingfriends.com/friends/f_ ... liness.htm and just keep photocopying the same covering one body part with white paper each time. Then mounting them on cards.
Cynde

Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:32 am
MES-Zealot!

Well I played this game for the first time in awhile. Not usre why I got away from it.

My first and second graders loved it. Even after the bell rang they wanted to play again.

UNder a few of the falsh cards I put more than one piece of candy and they really enjoed this.

It was also funny cuz I saw one girl looking under a card while the other students were finishing their worksheets. I checked and there was a candy under that card.

Of course when it was her card she choose that one and started to cheer even before the card was lifted....however sneaky teacher had changed the candy to spider..........Muhahhahaahahaha!!!!!

Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:23 am
MES-Zealot!

Thanks

Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:46 pm
MES-Member

Post Re: Spiders and Candy
mesmark wrote:
If you have any questions or suggestions for more items, post them here.

I have problems with the printing of the game since the watermark and the print button get printed in the paper, what can I do in order to print just the candies and spiders?

Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:07 pm
Site Admin

If you are right clicking on the file and choosing "print", it will print what you see, so you will get the print button and watermarks. That option works just like "print screen".

Are you clicking on the print button? If so, you shouldn't get the print button or the watermark.

Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:53 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next