MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Simple activity using the bingo cards 
MES-Zealot!

Post Simple activity using the bingo cards
Here is a simple acitivity I just thought of using the bingo cards

simply stick a famous face over the word Bingo on each sheet/bingo board

and you can do this in different ways but for example with the clothing one (after reviewing the vocab)

1 in pairs 1st what is your name? (ask each other and they answer the famous persons name ie I am Tom Cruze etc) then they ask each other (with their cards hinden) are you wearing a shirt? etc
you could allow them say 8 or 10 questions and see who gets the most points

2 you could get the kids to do the above but get the kids to write some bonus points on say 4 of the clothes (ie 5, 4, 3, 2pts) so if these clothes are guessed they get extra points

3 For a higher level you could use the 3rd person. 1st ask What is her/his name? or Who is your friend?
Is he/she wearing a hat? yes he is etc etc

and of course you will get some funny ones like maybe Tom Cruze is wearing a dress, this should be really funny!

simple but fun and getting them to use the vocab

Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:07 am
Site Admin

That's a great idea! You can do that with a bunch of the sets since many of them are tied to some target language. It will work incredibly as a warm-up review game and even with adults.

classroom: Do you have ~ in your bag? / Do you need ~ ? / Could I borrow your ~ ?
Countries: Have you ever been to ~?
Bedroom: Is there a ~ in your room? / Are there any ~s in your room?
Sports: Do you play ~ ?
Animals 4: Have you ever eaten ~?
Part-time jobs: Did you work at ~ when you were in high school? college?
Verbs can: Can you ~?
Verbs 2: Did you ~ yesterday?
Chores: Do you have to ~?
Health: Do you have a headache?
Feelings: Were you ~ yesterday? last week?
Fruit: Do you like ~? / Did you have ~ for desert? / Do you want ~ for desert?
Recess: Do you usually ~ at recess? after school?

and that's just off the top of my head.

You could also do it as a matching exercise. If they both have the same item, they get a point.
Chores, for example:
A: I have to do the dishes. Do you have to do the dishes, too?
B: Yes! I have to do the dishes, too. Yee-haw! That's one point.

That way you are getting them to make the statement and the question.
classroom:
A: I need a pencil. Do you have a pencil?
B: Yes, I do!
A: Can I borrow it?
B: Sure.

B: I need some paper. Do you have any paper?
A: No, I don't. Sorry.

On the extra points front, I think I would allow them to define 1-2 spots as 2 points (or dollars and use money) and if the partner guesses that spot, the partner gets the points. However, if the other person doesn't guess that spot the card holder gets the points. (The secret spot can be maked with a small sticker. Then it ought to be easy to remove afterwards.)

Kiwione - I might add this to the Bingo uses page with a link to this thread. That is if you don't mind. www.mes-english.com/flashcards/bingo.php

Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:52 am
Profile WWW
MES-Zealot!

:-D

Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:56 am
MES-Zealot!

this activity would be for medium size to the slightly larger class ie about 20 to 30
give 12 kids a bingo card and the others a small game card (or half/half)

object is; the kids with game cards have to find the person with the object they have (on the other kids bingo card)

this can be done in different ways ... but for example

have the kids with the small game card to have 2 chances to ask 2 different people with bingo cards

or you could let them keep on asking until they find someone (see who is last)

if its a larger class you can give out more bingo cards (ie some people would have the same bingo card but noone would know who)

make sense?

Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:58 am
MES-Fanatic!

Maybe, the structure used to agree could be practised.
e.g. I can swim.
So can I./ I can swim too. etc
I found the ideas in this thread very inspiring. Thank you.

Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:28 am
MES-Zealot!

your idea is good too

I might use that

:-D

Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:59 pm
MES-Member

Post Re: Simple activity using the bingo cards
Not sure if this idea has been posted before, so my apologies if I am being redundant. This a simple variation of Bingo to practice "I want a" or "we want a" and prepositions. I suppose it could be altered to practice other phrases too. At a slightly higher level you can also practice "I want some","I don't have any" ,"I don't have one".

I hand out one bingo card and usually two small flash cards to each student. The objective is to make bingo with the small flash cards. By only giving two cards initially I can make sure the kids don't get Bingo right away. So the kids have to make bingo with the small flash cards and usually they have a head start with the at least one of the two cards I gave them initially. They take turns telling the other students what they want, and if the other student has that card, they have to give it up with a "Here you are". If the other student does not have what they asked for, they take a card from the pile. The clever students remember what cards have been traded around and ask for them if they need it.

Right now I am using the food set and it has a good mix of some items that you would say "some" with (like pizza) and some you would use "a" with, like a cheeseburger. With the lower level students I don't worry about this though.

You can use the above for team game, simply substitute "I" with "we". Another variation that I have used is a team game where one student holds the bingo cards, and the other holds the small flashcards. This game has a small fault though that I will explain below. In this game the dialog only takes place between the students holding the flash cards. The students holding the flash cards want to get rid of the flash cards that do not match their partners bingo card. So they ask the other students "Does (name) want some pizza?" And the other teams responds with "yes he/she does" based on their partners bingo card. In this game if the team being asked does not want the card, they take a card from the pile. If they want the card, the team doing the asking takes a card. I do this to try and circumvent the fault I mentioned above, which is frequently once team figures out a card the other team does not want, they keep asking if the other team wants this card. I try to explain to them that taking a card from the pile might be good way to get bingo quicker.

To practice prepositions using the game immediately above with a small class I will use props to be their partner. (Like stuffed animals or pictures) This way all the students can practice the dialog instead of waiting for the next game.

I hope this makes sense, let me know if you have any questions.

Wed May 29, 2013 2:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]