MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
introducing vocabulary/flashcards 
MES-Zealot!

Post introducing vocabulary/flashcards
How do the flaschcards fit into everyone's curriculum? Do you teach in themes and introduce the cards first, or do you first think of a sentence pattern and work the flaschcards into the lesson?

Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:10 am
MES-Fanatic!

i usually come up with a sentence structure that i want the kids to learn and select cards that would be useful to that structure. firstly, i would show all the cards and do a pronunciation check (it is best to maybe only use 5 cards per lesson, otherwise most students cant remember all the words and the sentence structure). playing bingo is a good way to check out pronunciation problems and get the kids to familiarise themselves with the vocab. secondly, i would play a game that requires the students to associate the words with the pictures (memory or karuta works well). thirdly, i would now demonstrate the sentence structure in a role play and write the target sentence on the board , leaving a gap to where all our new vocab can be placed. students can then take turns in making the target sentence, while playing a general game (this game could be anything).

Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:43 am
MES-Addict

I always use FC first! They are sorted around some certain theme/topic and as I introduce them to children, then I involve some songs or chants that are related to this vocabulary.

Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:38 pm
MES-Member

I always brainstorm first to see what they know. Then use the flashcards to teach the vocabulary and progress to a simple sentence structure for the vocab.

A great game is the tile/island jumping game:

Flashcards are face down. Each team has a player who can hop to the next flashcard only if they say the correct sentence. It starts as guessing, but progresses into memory. For older kids, I also make them hop on one leg and if they put the other leg down or fall, they have to start again - this results in LOTS of practice.

Wed May 04, 2011 1:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]