MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
they do not hear my voice 
MES-Member

Post they do not hear my voice
and also I want a more suggestion from you.my classes are so crowded that(50 young students aged 7-10) I am not able to make my voice heard by the students.they are very active and noisy in a small classroom. they are so motivated with the powerpoint presentations by using a projector reflected on the board.and they make comments, sometimes laugh in a crazy way. but how can I make them quiet. it is a big problem.
yelling punishment and award does not work.

a suggestion from me maybe you can try to add pronunciations of the powerpoint flash cards so that my voice will stay with me.

Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:50 am
MES-Addict

I'm fortunate to have only one class like this. I have finally learned to simply accept the situation and work with the students as they are.

My answer is to simply wait. If the students are talking, stand at the front and wait for them to calm down. Don't yell at them, though it's usually effective to smile and talk in a loud voice.

It sounds like they're eager to learn, so they're not likely to just continue talking forever. If you stand at the front and wait for the students to be quiet, they'll probably police themselves when the learners want to move forward. You might have to cut some of the material and plan a slower curriculum....but if you can smile, let the kids talk things through...it might just work.

Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:28 pm
MES-Addict

I can't believe it! 50 students per group that's crazy!
Do you think it is possible to teach a foreign language in such crowded groups? I don't think so! How can you practise the oral skill?

Good luck and be careful with your voice it is one of our main tools in our daily teaching!

Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:54 am
MES-Addict

I often do demo classes with 100s of kids. To keep them all quiet at the same time I introduce "clap" in the beginning after the "stand up", "sit down" warm up. Then when I raise my hand they clap louder. When I lower my hand they get quieter. Practice this a few times and then later in class you can get them to be quiet really easily. It is pretty amazing the first time you hear chaos turning into complete silence!

For some classes just clapping doesn't work as some kids will still talk AND clap! So in that case I introduce "cheer" and they shout and you can again control the volume.

And do indeed take care of your voice. Before I started using this technique I'd very often lose my voice! For all the teachers here I'd really recommend buying a singing course to learn how to warm up your voice. It's really simple with a bit of practice but makes a huge difference!

Be genki,

Richard

PS Profe, with lots of pair work you can teach all those kids, although it takes longer and is very tiring!

Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:11 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Addict

Excellent suggestions Richard for crowd, I mean student control. I'll give them a go if I ever encounter another huge class. I had a class of 28 6 year olds which I considered huge and I used to take in a big red bag with something new in every week (A puppet or A poster etc..) and the kids knew that to see what was in the bag they all had to be silent. Any remaining kids that still talked, I gave a BIG FUNNY STARE and quite soon ensued.

Big classes I always split in 3-4 teams for games and activities.

Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:49 am
MES-Zealot!

Another technique similar to that mentioned is raising your hand and waiting. Students who are quiet also raise their hand and it is like a mexican wave. I use this in my SOS and geography classes with students aged from 12 to 16 and even with adults. Meant I didn`t have to lift my voice at all. An extremely loud voice or yell works occasionally and does give some shock value but used often and kids just think it`s funny and attempt to get you to do it again and again and again.

Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:43 pm
MES-Member

Richard and Simon, excellent suggestions! But I can't imagine myself teaching 50+ students at the same class! We tend to divide larger classes to smaller groups for foreign language lessons, usually 10-15 students per group.

Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:00 am
MES-Member

I really appreciate all your suggestions. I will try them as soon as possible

Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:39 am
MES-Member

Hi Nese. I think most teachers can identify with this problem. What I do is simple and it seems to work. In a group that big they often don't even pay attention to the fact that you are waiting quietly for them to stop talking and you lose lots of time that way. My technique is that I teach them in the beginning of the semester how I will ask them to be quiet which is by counting to 5. So I quietly start by saying 1, and the students in the first row hear my saying 1 and they join in by saying 2 and so on. By the time we get to 5, the kids in the back are counting together and everybody knows it's time to be quiet.

I try to use the kids' voices as much as possible to save my own. Our voice is our tool and we can't mistreat it now or we'll be sorry later.

I enjoyed the comment about learning how to warm up our voices. This is very important and it only takes a few minutes before class to get your voice warm. I usually do it in the car on my way to work.

Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:19 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]