MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Is this a ~~~? Yes it is. No it isn:t 
MES-Fanatic!

Post Is this a ~~~? Yes it is. No it isn:t
Any ideas for games for this topic... Is this a ~~~~? is a little difficult to create a good game around.

Tue May 20, 2008 9:10 am
Site Admin

What's your vocabulary? I'm assuming classroom items ought to be OK.

You could use the classroom flashcards and play baseball in groups of 6. The pitcher would ask, "Is this a book?" and the batter would guess, "Yes, it is." or "No, it isn't."

Then the batter could ask, "Is that a book?" and the pitcher would answer with the correct answer.

However, I think the baseball game might be over-kill for this grammar point. It's certainly OK but you might want a quicker activity.

a quicker "guess it" game.

1. Give a pair of students 10-15 vocabulary cards
2. S1 takes a card and asks S2, "What's this?"
3. S2 tries to guess the item. S2 gets 3 guesses, "Is that a ...?"

if S2 can guess the card, S2 gets the card and it is one point for her.

if S2 guesses incorrectly 3 times, S1 keeps the card and it is one point for him.

4. Students change roles; S2 takes a card ...

- first to 5 points is the winner.

After one game is finished have the losers get up and go find a new partner to play with.

If you have to practice "Is this ...?" just have S1 take a card, look at it and place it face down in the middle of the two students. That way S2 can touch the card and ask, "Is this a pen?"

Last edited by mesmark on Tue May 20, 2008 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue May 20, 2008 1:42 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Zealot!

I had really good success today with giving a piece of paper with two sentences on it to every student. The sentences followed this kinda pattern: "This is a hospital. It is big." The students have 5 minutes to draw the thing, fold over the sentence so it can't be seen and stick it to the classroom wall. Then, the students all receive a worksheet and they have to go around the classroom to each of the pictures and write sentences using the above grammar point.

This went over perfect for my class. It practices a little bit of reading, but focuses heavily on spelling and writing.

Tue May 20, 2008 1:49 pm
MES-Fanatic!

mark thanks for the idea will try next week. both base ball and the guessing game. My 3rd graders actually have a pretty wide vocabulary so that is no prob.

Patrick your game sounds great but i work with elementary school kids. while my 5th and 6th graders could probably do it, my 3rd graders can't.

Tue May 20, 2008 8:50 pm
MES-Zealot!

mark thanks for the idea will try next week. both base ball and the guessing game. My 3rd graders actually have a pretty wide vocabulary so that is no prob.

Patrick your game sounds great but i work with elementary school kids. while my 5th and 6th graders could probably do it, my 3rd graders can't.

LOL! Sorry, I naturally assumed you were talking about JHS students since they are studying that particular grammar point. Oh well...

Wed May 21, 2008 6:52 am
MES-Fanatic!

Patrick no problem. it't exchanging info... i should have said what grade the game would be for... thanks for the idea though. I will try to think of a way to modify the game you suggested so that I can use it for ele. school.

Mark I did the guessing game but i held the cards and gave hints. I did it in such a way that the kids had to piece info together. they did very well.

Thu May 22, 2008 12:14 pm
Site Admin

Thu May 22, 2008 1:40 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Member

Post Re: Is this a ~~~? Yes it is. No it isn:t
Simple game I came up with.

Get three paper cups. Put two small flash cards in two of the cups. Have the students huddle around a table and then move the cups around like three card monte. (Just move the cups around quickly and if your goofy like me you can make some silly music too) When your done mixing the cups ask the sudents "Is this a ---?" Touching one of the cups. The students have to reply with "yes it is" or "no its not". Depending on the age and level of your students you can have student do the mixing up and then ask the question.

Wed May 29, 2013 2:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]