MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Teaching the Past Tense 
Site Admin

Post Teaching the Past Tense
Listen to the show.

Mark starts off the show with a description of a few new things MES English has to offer its users. In the show Mark has gone over his speaking first curriculum and now some of that is listed on the MES English website with links to all of the resources and additional resources you might need.

There are also some new teaching videos at MES-TV. There are straight vocabulary videos, questions and answer videos as well as interactive question only videos. These are great for non-native teachers and teachers that just want to expose their students to another voice. Check them out - http://tv.mes-english.com

This show deals with teaching the past tense. The main points of the podcast are:

* when should we teach the past tense?/What age is too young?
    * How do Mark and Matt introduce the past tense to students
    * what are some ways in the beginning to avoid the complications of irregular verbs
    * ideas for content when teaching the past tense
    * how to practice the past tense

There are quite a few games and activities listed in the show. So, this show there is no designated game of the week section, but we hope some of the activities mentioned in the show will give you something to work with.

If you have any questions or comments about the show, please post them here. We'd love to hear from you.

Thanks for listening!

Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:27 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Member

when do i use the continuous past and when the simple past?

Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:44 pm
It's nice to know that teaching grammar would be so much easy. Thank you for providing a link which shows the video on teaching grammar. My friend Amanda is a teacher. I am sorry but I don't know exactly what is her subject. Though this information would be beneficial to her. If not to her then she will assist her colleague with this. Thanks and keep updating. Cheers.

Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:18 pm
MES-Member

Mark, some very ueseful videos which I didnt even realise were there!!!

Good job!!

Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:32 am
Try using narrative, past-tense-of-regular-verbs-only text, wholly or in part to help your EFL or ESL, English as a Second Language, students with this all-important grammatical context. The use of the tense establishes the mood for the conversation or the story being told - past tense is traditionally the storyteller's medium.

Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:55 pm
MES-Addict

Post Re: Teaching the Past Tense
In some countries, teaching past tense can be very complex, though not that difficult. In China, for example, the language is quite contextual based, so they have no real use for past or future tense. All conversation is based aroound the present tense and the listener must determine when the context of the conversation referrs to a past or future event.

With this, I not only have to teach my kindergarten students, but my Chinese teaching assistants also. Although they have a very good English Vocabulary, which they learn in the university, they fail to fully understand how to use that vocabulary properly, since the Chinese university does not necessarily teach language usage.

I do not know how this relates to other languages, but the type of language that is native to the student can dictate how you must teach things like the tenses. I believe the teaching of other English language concepts are also affected by the student's native language also.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:28 pm
Profile YIM
MES-Member

Post Re: Teaching the Past Tense
Perhaps you could ask them 2 things they did yesterday (or have them write it down) Then ask them to put the two sentences in chronological order. Then ask them to combine the two sentences in a way (using the formula 'had + past participle) The answers should start to surface, and light bulbs will be appearing above their heads.

Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]