MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
What would an ideal elementary school program look like? 
MES-Member

Post What would an ideal elementary school program look like?
Hello everyone with experience teaching ESL,

I've just found out that I will be joining a team of 3 English teachers in a private K- 4 elementary school in Germany which offers English starting in Kindergarten. We have about 250 kids in the 5 grades (12 kids per group), a fabulous facility with 3 larger rooms and 1 small one and a very supportive administration.

So far the program was set up so that the kids had 1 week "immersion" type experiences once every 5 weeks. The administration has asked me to come up with a different proposal.

What would be a better schedule for this age group? Twice per week at 90- 120 minutes perhaps? Two mornings per week every other week?
Where can I find a content-based (versus just language based) English program for K-4?
Do you know of any elementary schools that offer a similar program to ours?

Thanks so much. :D

Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:49 pm
MES-Addict

I just wanted to let you know I read your post, though don't have any great advice.

For topic based curriculum we use the ESL science books Blue Planet. We also have a subscription to A-Z Reading which has readers and worksheets for many topics. I know that MacMillan English is a good program for more "immersion" type lessons.

I think I'd like to have the students as often as possible, but also for a longer lesson (90 min) every other week or so. 2 hours seems too long for me. If I had my ideal class, I would teach the "English" bit in shorter lessons more frequently and then the topic class in a longer session.

Let us know how it goes.

Juli in Kamakura

Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:11 pm
MES-Member

My school is actually an immersion school for Pre-K-6 so I have a bit of experience in this area :D

At my school the students meet twice a week for two hours at a time, with the exception of Pre-K and K. Pre-K and K meet for 90 minutes at a time. Our immersion courses include science, math, and social studies (for groups after K.) For K groups, the immersion comes in various forms. We offer two weekly 'Active English' sessions. These are extra sessions lasting 1 hour each and are on a sign up, first come, first served basis. Our immersion Active English classes are: music, art, science, movies, games, and reading.

My school uses my software for the younger students. For the older students we use HM's Rise software. You can check out their software here: http://www.hmhinnovation.com/Intl-China.php.

It's not free but it's great stuff.

For some free stuffs check out the links in my sig. I have all kinds of interactive software and free downloads available. If you would be interested in using it at your school let me know. I have 15 units finished for the first years course (although, there are only 8 uploaded right now). Currently, I am working on the next 12 themes (finishing the artwork and recording voices) plus a phonics theme.

If you need more ideas feel free to contact me through my site or here (though, I don't check here as often :X)

Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:34 am
Profile WWW
MES-Member

I teach English at a kindergarten in Germany :) I love it! However there were a few things that I had to get used to....
1) The philosophy of the kindergarten's parent organisation is that children are 'free'. There is no curriculum or programme, and formal 'lessons' are not always accepted.
2) Classes are of mixed ages (2-6 years),
3) Children may not colour in pictures or use stencils - free-drawing and crafting is the name of the game.
4) There is a very limited school readiness programme (mainly visits to police stations, hospitals, learning road rules...)

Basically my brief is to 'talk English with the children' for 4 hours a day. I am in a group of 22 children with one German-speaking teacher (sometimes two).

I am very interested in whether you have found a 'content based' English programme for kindergarten???

Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]