MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
How many classes a week do you teach per group? 
MES-Addict

I have groups from 5 to 12 students and have them for one hour once a week. I just wish I had them twice a week .

Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:00 am
MES-Member

I teach eight groups.Each group has three lessons a week.Senior students have only two lessons a week,each only 40 min. I don't think it's enough especially in senior classes.I wish I had less classes and more lessons for each class.

Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:24 am
MES-Member

I think that 1 hour of English per week is waste of time and money for beginner students as progress is too slow. A week is enough for them to forget what they studied last lesson, so I don't advise my students to study less than 2 hours per week. But if the level is high, it's enough to support their knowledge.

Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:03 am
MES-Zealot!

I think that 1 hour of English per week is waste of time and money for beginner students as progress is too slow

boy some of my classes are once a month and even then they are cancelled somtimes

Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:56 pm
MES-Fanatic!

My adult students usually want to "collect" enough English to be able to grope their way through a foreign country. Sometimes some of the air seeps out of our hopes when progress seems slow. However, time and time again the students return from their journeys all hyped up and excited about how much they had understood and how well they had been able to communicate. It's like they are suddenly bouncing on a diving board, raring for more.
Sure, once a week is not enough when learning a language. But it's a starting point. I can't see it as a waste of time. If the students enjoy our lessons, something takes root. It's amazing how much trickles in over time!

Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:25 pm
MES-Member

I'm with Kiwione. I see most of my elementary kids twice a month, and one of my schools once a month. I would kill to get to see each school once a week.

I just don't feel I'm being effective.

Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:18 pm
MES-Addict

Post My Schedule
Here in the school that I am working at I have a different schedule then most of you in a “cram school”. Most of the classes that I teach, I will see only once every three months or so as they have a Chinese teacher for all of their other classes (I am window dressing here)! I do have my regular classes on Saturday afternoon that I teach for 1.5 hour class. These students in my regular classes on Saturday also have other English Classes that they go to here during the week too. This school teaches for a total of 2.5 hours a week. The students come to a week night class during the week for a hour and then they return to our school on either Saturday or Sunday for an 1.5 hour class. I do fell that having two classes a week is better in the long run if you can get the students to come to 2 classes a week rather a single 2 hour class a week.

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:14 pm
Profile YIM
MES-Zealot!

Like others at schools in Japan I see my elementary classes once a month and so the classes are not really about teaching them `full on` English, but I still can see progress. The biggest area is in their pronounciation. I hit them with phonics every time I see them and when my big supervisor came and saw a class he was surprised by their pronounciation and the way they could sound words out. Hopefully it is setting them up for when they have English classes at Junior High School.

Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:05 pm
Site Admin

I worked in a situation where I only visited a class once a month (and it looks like I might be doing it again soon.) You're not going to make any big noticeable progress towards conversational fluency in that time but I think you can really do some positive things. Simon mentioned phonics and pronounciation, for example.

I always try to make English class interesting and exciting, like an adventure. I want the students to feel like they have accomplished something and I want them to be proud of what they can remember time and time again. If they like it and feel confident, you'll be surprised at what they can remember and what they will try to learn on their own.

It's not a waste of time.

Also, with all of the resources available out there (and at MES-E,) there should be plenty of things your students could do between visits to solidify and review the materials you covered. The trick is to get the homeroom teacher to take on that responsibility. Even teaching one MES-E set and then leaving a few of the matching board games behind would be enough. Once a week or twice a week the student could play the game and review what was taught.

(Eventually, once www.mes-games.com gets built up, they'll be able to do that as well. Over the next year or two I'll be working on that a little more. I plan a launch for 2008, so I better get back to work ...)

Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:41 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Member

It's a primary school in France. the pupils are about 10 years ld ad it's the first year they learn foreign language.
I teach english twice a week. the lesson is about 45 min. but I speak english 15 minuts everyday. For example, we do the date in english instead in french on monday and thursday. on Tuesday and Friday, we repeat the new vocabulary.
for cultural links, I can't do it in english, because their level is not good.

Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:19 pm
MES-Member

:oops: Sorry, It's again me. I forget to tell you how many pupils I have. I teach english with the entire class. 27 pupils. I do many pair-works to train them to speak a lot.

Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:22 pm
MES-Member

Hi everybody...it's really great to hear what other people do! I teach at an international school and we are starting content based courses in English. We are currently seeking accreditation as an American school. Because of this I teach my 4th grade students 5 days a week for 2 and half hours a day. It's really great because I get to see their progress really quickly. At the end of the semester I can really measure how far they've come!

Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:47 am
MES-Member

I teach in a primary school and with the pupils aged 8-12 I teach three lessons per week, but with the younger ones just one lesson per week, and it's not enough, because at that age they are great to learn languages and we should spend more time on that.

Fri May 11, 2007 11:51 pm
MES-Addict

Maia I have the same situation and feel very frustrated because of that, I guess I have to just take it easy. :(

Sat May 12, 2007 4:11 am
MES-Addict

In our private language school in Croatia we teach kids aged 4 to 10 2 lessons per week (lasting 45min), those aged 11 to 14 also 2 lessons per week but each lasting 70min, and adolescent students 2 lessons per week, lesson lasting 90min.

Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2