MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
It was really weird. 
MES-Addict

Post It was really weird.
I was amazed at the difference. I was getting my students to produce the TL and of course It was more silent than a graveyard. The TL was comparative with bugs i.e. The spider is the ugliest bug. I would hold out the flashcard for spider and had the pattern [The ______ is the _______ bug} having the kids fill in the blanks until they could do it without the pattern and from memory. It was painful how dead the classroom was...until.......for some reason I decided to pretend there was a spider in the corner of the room. I looked at the corner and screamed and yelled {That spider is the ugliest bug!!!!] the kids freaked out with laughter and from that point on they were in my hand. they said everything I wanted them to as long as I was keeping them laughing with my imaginative bugs and funny reactions. It takes a lot of energy, but it was unforgettable.

Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:29 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Addict

Post continuation
Also as the kids started getting the TL down, I started throwing my imaginary bug at the kids. I would throw it at one students and point to his head and say "YOU HAVE THE UGLIEST BUG!!!!!!" or "The UGLIEST BUG IS ON YOUR HEAD!!!!!" They would then have the bug and could throw it at another student repeating what I said if they could or just laugh if they couldn't say the new TL very well. All I can say is that it was like night and day after I introduced the imaginary bugs. I have very little exp teaching English, but I know for a fact that if you have a decent lesson plan, the best way of getting the students into what you need to teach them is to start the class out with something imaginative and exciting. of course it doesn't always work, and that is the dynamic of teaching that will enthrall me forever.

Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:40 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

That's a great way to get kids excited. Thanks for sharing your success.

I think you're right. Playing and just having fun for a minute can make a huge difference. I will pretend to take an animal off the card and put it into my pocket. I'll tell the students it's so cute I want to take it home. A minute later I sit down and make a big scene about having squashed my new pet. Then it's back to teaching. The kids love stuff like that.

For me it's about capturing the kids' attention via something and then holding on to it. I'm not sure the imaginary bug would work for every teacher or for every class, but having some bit of "magic" like that really helps.

As a kid, I had some teachers that weren't interesting at all, but they were really knowledgeable. They taught really well and made us feel smart, like we could do anything if we tried. That's a bit of magic as well. It doesn't always have to be comedy.

Learning a language is fun and a craft that takes practice. Again, it's great that you've found something that brings life to the students, making them relaxed and willing to practice.

Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:28 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Addict

Post Re: It was really weird.
xenofied wrote:
I was amazed at the difference. I was getting my students to produce the TL and of course It was more silent than a graveyard. The TL was comparative with bugs i.e. The spider is the ugliest bug. I would hold out the flashcard for spider and had the pattern [The ______ is the _______ bug} having the kids fill in the blanks until they could do it without the pattern and from memory. It was painful how dead the classroom was...until.......for some reason I decided to pretend there was a spider in the corner of the room. I looked at the corner and screamed and yelled {That spider is the ugliest bug!!!!] the kids freaked out with laughter and from that point on they were in my hand. they said everything I wanted them to as long as I was keeping them laughing with my imaginative bugs and funny reactions. It takes a lot of energy, but it was unforgettable.

What a fun lesson! They will remember that one.

Often I make "mistakes" (many times not on purpose) to try to catch their attention. "That bug is the cutest spider!" Once they get the idea it's okay to be silly they are full of conversation.

Last week we were working on "May I have some of your~" One of the boys asked, "May I have some of your hair?" Of course then they all had to come up with silly sentences.

Juli

Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]