MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
I need help for 2nd and 3rd Grader =( 
MES-Member

Post I need help for 2nd and 3rd Grader =(
Good day to all. I'm new here and it's the first time I post in a forum.

I'd been teaching elementary students for less than 2 months but I'm still
having a problem. Seems like my students are not interested on what I'm teaching them. I'm using flashcards from MES and some games but still I can't get what makes them bored on my lessons.

I really need your help badly. =(

Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:24 am
Site Admin

cristyence- welcome to the forums! but sorry it's under these circumstances.

Can you tell us a little more? How many students do you have at a time? How long have they been studying for?

Sometimes they can be bored by no fault of your own. It may be their general attitude. It could be the teacher before you that has set the mood. You may just need time. It could also be that they really are tired. I assume this is an after school English program, right?

The content might be too difficult as well. It might be good to just play a little with easier content and get their attention and focus back. What was the last topic you taught and what activities did you use?

We'll try to help if we can.

Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:54 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Member

I have 15 students in 1 class and the other, sometimes 7. About the 2nd grade, I'd been teaching them since last week. They were not my original class. SO, I was kinda having hard time. They were really loud. I had sometimes to yell at them to get their attention ( I know it's not good) but, after few minutes they were crowd again. This coming Friday, the 2 heads of the school will evaluate my class. I'm so stress thinking what should I do to control the students at the same time, they will learn. =(

I work at Elementary School. But, the English subject isn't the regular one. The last topic i taught them was Counting and we played whisper the number game. Some kids were having fun,but some were not.

Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:23 pm
Site Admin

Well, it's hard to say without actually seeing what's going on, but I think you might want to work with their energy instead of trying to fight it. If they are loud and active, try to pick activities that let them be loud and active in English. Maybe more active than loud :D

It might help to have some TPR activities in the lesson to burn a little steam and get the students settled for something a bit quieter. i generally have a TPR section about 1/3 of the way into my class with younger elementary school students. The first 10-15 min. of the lesson, they can stay focused, but after that they want to move around. So, I have a little exercise time that I do with them. That gets them out of their seats and lets them move a bit. Hopefully, they're slightly tired and ready to sit down and do something a bit calmer once we're done. Check out the line jumping game for a good TPR activity you can use with this group. there is another good game listed right after that titled "the Exercise Game".

I hope that helps a bit and let us know what you did in your last class and how it went. The more we know, the more suggestions we can offer.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:54 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Member

Thank u so much. I followed your suggestions and it worked.

You're great Mr. Mark.

Keep it up. ~^^

Mon May 17, 2010 11:56 am
MES-Zealot!

If its 2nd graders at ES (elementary school) and if they haven't had much lessons before, then keep things simple. As Mark said TPR is great for this age.
I would focus on basic words only (not phrases, with exception of Good morning, etc)
and since they are so young, maybe songs! I don't recommend it for over 4th grade, but 2nd grade should be fine.
see
http://www.dreamenglish.com/freedownload

and genki has some good stuff
http://genkienglish.net/

Mon May 17, 2010 1:29 pm
MES-Addict

Why not try some awards? Young students is easily to buy, and they 'fall' on such things as stickers, excellence awards and small gifts.... it worked on my students!

Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:25 pm
MES-Member

Its better to see it that read it!! at least that's what I think. Well, I had same problem with my students, but then I started implementing a new system:

approach them on personal basis, check their problems and help.
providea wide variety of work: games, reading time, conversation,..etc
Have a "treasure box" in class to reward them when they do good.
Send "good notes" home.
Keep you tone interesting and energized to boost them with energy.
Assign a specific day of the week for each activity, ex: Mon. : introduction new lesson.
Tue: pass sheets for class work.
Wed: play games and activities in class.
and so on .

Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]