MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
What is a good Elementary school textbook 
MES-Addict

Post What is a good Elementary school textbook
I was asked to recommend a textbook for teaching at an Elementary school. They will have one lesson a week and won't mind having homework ! It is a small school (somaybe quite flexible and more time) and actually thinking of starting English classes from first grade, though they said second grade from April this year to give students to settle in.

In Japan, I did a quick research and came out with the following from main publishers :

(Oxford) Let's Go
(Oxford) English Time
(Longman) Gogo
(Longman) English Land
(Macmillan) New Finding Out

Does anyone have experience with these ? Thanks.

Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:29 am
MES-Zealot!

I used English time, but it was one on one with a young boy. However, he spent much of his life in England so he had phenominal English for such a young Korean kid.

Not sure how it would go with larger classes, but it might be okay.

I've used Let's go for the past year and a half. My program is deciding if they want to change books at the moment, but for now I am using the series still.

Let's go is okay, but I think the jump between books. Is to big. I feel there should be a book bewteen them.

In the first book "Starter" they learn the alphabet, in the secod book "Let's Begin" They are doing simple sentences, by the 3rd book "Let's GO 1" They have sentences scrambles etc.

I guess maybe the jump isn't so bad. Not like some books I've used. However, you willwant to supplement with other material. Like the wonderful Mes-English stuff.

The problem is that while the senteces are simple most of them can't read very well, so you have to walk them through some it or write the answers on the board and have the kids copy them. I for one hate and rarely do this, as I don't really feel they are learning anything that way.

The work book is too simple in some ways. I'd have students shouting that they were finished, while other students hadn't even gotten their books out yet.

My classes were also mixed by grade and not English level, so for some of my studnets the book was way to easy, for others way to difficult, and for a few just right.

I haven't used any of the other books, but if you go with them or someone else has ussed them, I'd like to know what you think.

Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:58 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]