MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Season 3 Premiere - Dream English 
Site Admin

Post Season 3 Premiere - Dream English
Listen to the show.

Welcome back for Season 3 of ESL Teacher Talk! If you're new to ETT, then ... just ... Welcome! :)

In Season 3 we have a new co-host, Matt of Dream English.com. With Matt and the other ETT co-hosts, we hope to cover some smaller areas of teaching English. We will be focusing on teaching specific grammar points, how we teach them, how we explain them, and how we practice them.

We will still have a Game of the Week with each episode as well!

But for the Season 3 premiere, we get to know a little about our new cohost, Matt, and Matt has some really cool things on the web for you. Matt is the creator of Dream English.com which has songs, flashcards, chants, and supporting teaching materials for teachers to effectively use music in your lessons.

That's not all, Matt also has a site called Free ABC Songs.com where you can find traditional English songs that you can also use in your lessons or with your own children!

There's also a section in the podcast that introduces a cool new site, 123 Listening.com. This is a collaborative effort between Mark's site, MES-English.com and Dream English.com. It has free listening tests, test audio and worksheet makers where you can make your own listening tests.

We'd love to hear how you use you music in your classes or any questions you might have about 123 Listening.com, Dream English.com or Free ABC Songs.com. Post them here on the ESL Teacher Talk forums. Ask questions or leave comments about the show. You can also just pop-in and introduce yourself. We'd love to know who's listening.
Thanks for listening!

Game of the Week: Spiders and Candy

This was a game originally developed for 1 and 2 years old. However, after a few years of using this game, Mark has tried some variations with older students and adults. It was very successful and Mark explains what to do. It can be used with small classes of any age but for older students it can be adapted for larger classes. You can find printables for this game at the games section of MES-English.com. There's also a written out explanation of the game there as well.

Happy teaching!

Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:46 am
Profile WWW
MES-Addict

Spiders and Candy! I love this game for its simplicity. It really saved my life a few times back when I first started teaching, couldn’t speak Japanese and was working with teachers that would rather run than speak to me! Which brings me to a question – when you introduce games to kids, do you take the all-English approach, or just do it in Japanese? The reason I ask is although no this one of course, some of the games you talk about in ESL teachers talk are pretty involved. Just something I wondered, really. Anyway, I’m looking forward to the third series – I’m interested in hearing about the way you go about teaching specific points as opposed to ESL as a whole.

Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:21 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Fanatic!

I think you are probably addressing the question to Mark, but if its ok I will answer as well. When I teach young kids games, I teach them only in English. I always do a few examples so they understand. If they don't get it, I lead them through. There always seems to be one really smart kid who gets it though, and explains it to all their classmates in Japanese :)

Thanks for listening!

Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:40 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Zealot!

I am not sure if the question was open to all? but anyway ... I suppose it would depend on the age and level (and time?), I try to do as much English as I think they know and just a bit more. I want to push them, get them to think etc

btw
I have to say I am a big fan of Dream English. My younger kids love your songs

Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:48 am
Site Admin

I am not sure if the question was open to all?

Please, have at it everyone :D . This is by no means an 'ask Mark' forum.

While I have my fair share of opinions (just ask my wife :P ), I definitely don't have all the answers. It's also very helpful for me to hear about what others would do.

Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:49 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Spiders and Candy! I love this game for its simplicity. It really saved my life a few times back when I first started teaching, couldn’t speak Japanese ...

Cool! I'm glad it has worked out for you. I often wonder how well things go for others. Sometimes it's hard to try to get all the little ideas and things I do with the resources into the explanations. (Also, hard to tell if people read them :) )

Julian-K wrote:
when you introduce games to kids, do you take the all-English approach, or just do it in Japanese? The reason I ask is although no this one of course, some of the games you talk about in ESL teachers talk are pretty involved.

Generally, I do everything in English. (I think.) I always start with an overkill of examples about how to use the materials. Almost to the point where the students are going to riot if i don't turn the activity over to them. Now, that means the first time you do an activity it takes a looong time. A simple 10 minute activity may take 30 minutes the first time with explanation.

Also, I strip most activities down to the bare minimum for the first go. So, take Big Town for example. I might just work with one question only the first time, no introduction of the character or preliminary language task. Just game!

S1: Is he from Canada?
S2: No. Is she from Korea?
S1: No. Is he from Fance?
S2: Yes.
S1: Thanks! (takes S2's card.)

I use a copy machine and blow the cards/game boards up to the largest paper size I can, usually A3. I put those up on the board or a place that's visable to everyone and begin from there. (I also pass out one card to everyone or a game board to each group. Sometimes I just give them a few minutes just to look them over.)

Using L1 or all English is a big debate, but I believe* it's best to use English only. If you are consistent then the kids get used to English only. They stop waiting for the translation, 'cause it ain't comin'. It's hard at first, but it promotes active listening and possibly trial and error. The students have to figure out what you're saying. That might mean guessing at the meaning, which is a valuable tool in language learning. It also gives you a chance to show/reassure them that guessing and making those mistakes is no big deal.

* that doesn't mean I don't use L1. I think you just need to weigh the situation.

Also, if something doesn't work just the way I wanted, that's OK. Go with whatever happens as long as they like it and they are practicing.

As they get more comfortable with the activity, then I start to add in other parts of the game. It also keeps them interested in the activity because it keeps getting better (in a way.)

Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:13 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Fanatic!

Quote:

Thanks Kiwione, that is really nice to hear :D

Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:42 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Addict

Yeah, sorry, I didn’t word that post very well – it was indeed aimed at anyone!

Quote:
There always seems to be one really smart kid who gets it though, and explains it to all their classmates in Japanese

Definitely! Although I’ve had kids who’ve been too good English too, and have just had the whole class (homeroom teacher included!) turning to them for everything :?

Quote:
A simple 10 minute activity may take 30 minutes the first time with explanation.

Wow, so would you dedicate a whole lesson to introducing certain games? I’ve never really thought about doing it like that. I guess I tend to do a lot of quick and easy games that we only ever do once or twice, aiming to either spend no more than 5mins on the explanation or just play it, take the first round slowly and work out the things out as we go. Generally for more complicated games though, I do almost everything in Japanese – just using the English I know they understand where I can. Maybe it’s a bit of a lazy option, but I find it’s hard to keep the attention of 40 kids for more than the shortest amount of time just in English. Saying that though, I’ll be starting at a new school soon, and there’s allot of things I’d like to do differently and with consistency.
Quote:

Agreed! Actually I’ve never used Dream English in a class, but we have a CD of the freeabcsongs that we play all the time at home for our son

Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:44 am
Profile WWW
MES-Fanatic!

we have a CD of the freeabcsongs that we play all the time at home for our son

Thanks Julian-K, that's nice to hear. I actually started recording those songs so my daughters could hear the songs I grew up with, since we are now living in Japan. So it's great to hear others are listening as well!

Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:45 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Addict

Just spent the last 4 hours on dreamenglish.com.

Great songs, I have a bunch of songs gathered from here and there, but these dreamenglish ones are really good. I can see some of my kids enjoying them.

Is there a way of getting the videos as .avi files so I can play them on the portable notebook in front of the kids. I am sure they will like that.

Lots of thanks !

Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:21 am
MES-Fanatic!

Hi Moon, thanks for spending so much time with the Dream English site. At the moment I have no way of hosting the movie files, that is why I am using youtube. Unfortunately with youtube you can't download them. We are working on more videos, so I hope in the future to have enough for a DVD. We'll see, thanks!

Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:50 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Zealot!

Actually, I believe you can download from youtube. You might try googling "download videos from youtube".

Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:45 pm
MES-Zealot!

yes, its not too difficult to download from youtube now (just not good quality)
there is plenty of software on the net

Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:41 am
MES-Zealot!

Not sure how I missed this one. I guess I was so excited to see that season 3 had started i clicked the young learners curriculum as soon as I saw it.

Anyway, Matt as i have said before I enjoy your stuff.

I came in the classroom the otherday and a few of the girls had found my folder with your files on the computer. They were playing the food chant over and over.

Even when I started the class, they wanted to do it some more. They really seemed to like the part in the middle that said "Touch your_______."

Anyway keep up the good work and congrads on being the newest host.

I enjoy hearing you guys chat during the presentations, I feel like I'm getting to know you guys.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:44 pm
MES-Zealot!

this is a good site to download stuff from youtube etc and without having to download any software

http://file2hd.com/Default.aspx

see here for some info on how (I got my info from cnet.com)

http://www.beatking.com/forums/index.ph ... opic=30549

Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next