MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
The Communicative Approach 
Site Admin

Post The Communicative Approach
Listen to the show.

This is the end of Season 2 here at ESL Teacher Talk. This wek we talk abouth the communicative approach.
We cover:

* what the communicative approach is
    * the theory behind the communicative approach and what it's supposed to do
    * the 5 main points of the communicative approach
    * how the communicative approach can be used in your lessons
    * what are the main benefits, claims, and criticisms of the method

We'd love to hear how you use the communicative approach. Post them here or over at the ESL Teacher Talk forums. Ask questions or leave comments about the show.

Thanks for listening! and we'll be back soon with Season 3!

Game of the Week: Two Stories

This a communicative game from http://bogglesworldesl.com. Two students are given articles. The students read the articles themselves. Then, they retell/summarize the information to their partner. At the end. there are some follow up questions for each article to measure how well the information was exchanged.

Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:06 am
Profile WWW
MES-Member

I use the Communicative Approach in most of my classes. I've discovered how much fun it is to do consensus style activities, such as deciding which items should be on a menu or ranking activities that the group must agree on.

In my country studies class I give them a handout with pictures and information about Washington State (my state!) and they must design a new state quarter and state flag using the information from the handouts. They all have to agree to what goes on it!

Another one that worked well and required teamwork for them to finish the task on time: they were given a set of Scrabble letters (not a full set) as well as a marked map of the US and a reference paper with the states and capitols. If they can spell the state name, they need to highlight it on their map. It was really fun watching them work together.

Thanks for making a great podcast!

Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]