MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
The Direct Method and You! 
Site Admin

Post The Direct Method and You!
Listen to the show.

In a quick intro to the show, we find out Mark is ecstatically jubilant this week. Things are fabulously wonderful in Japan. Listen and find out why.

Continuing with teaching methods, this week's show is about the Direct Method. Mark and Ron will run down for you what the direct method is, how it was used, and why.

We may give the Direct Method a bit of a hard time in the beginning, but all methods have merit and many things you can use and things you probably already use come from the Direct Method. There are a lot of great things you get from it. Mark and Ron put forth a few ideas of what parts of the method you can use in your classes tomorrow. I'm going to say 'use' one more time. Basically, things you can use.

Discuss this show here! Leave comments about this show, words of encouragement, suggestions for future shows, or just pop-in and tell us who you are.

Game of the Week: Story Differences

It works just like find the difference pictures. Students have two versions of one story and they need to find the differences by discussing their stories. It's a great speaking and negotiating activity. Students need to practice verifying information or expressing differences of opinion. Enjoy!

Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:54 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Zealot!

Hmm - no replies. Guess I'll have to come in with my two-penn'orth as we Brits say. As with most methods, the Direct Method is great, as long as it doesn't become prescriptive, ie, there shall be NO translation, NO grammar analysis. If you take the long view, every methodology (unless it's total garbage, which I don't think anybody could say about the Direct Method) ends up being incorporated into the mainstream consensus. The courses coming from cutting-edge publishers these days tend to be in the region of 50 - 75%% Direct method, with language analysis and translation as well.

Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:24 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Hmm - no replies. Guess I'll have to come in with my two-penn'orth as we Brits say.

We've almost given up asking for comments :P

The show gets a couple thousand listeners but I get about one comment a month. You have filled the quota for March!

You can see a lot of the ideas in previous methodologies making up the Communicative Approach. I seem to be using mostly a mixture of the Direct Method and the Audio-Lingual Method.

I used to go about children's classes with no translation and no grammar analysis. It was successful but I produced some fluent speakers that aren't very accurate. While I'm OK with that (better than the opposite,) the Japanese system here is anything but tolerant. I'm now leaning a bit more towards some spot grammar teaching here and there. We'll see how that works out.

Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:38 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]