MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Getting Organized 
Site Admin

Post Getting Organized
Listen to the show.

Merry Christmas! This will be the last podcast of 2007 and we wanted to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Mark has a lot of news this show.

Hospital English.com has been updated! I'm sure everyone was waiting for this and it has come. There are a bunch of new materials on there for teachers. So, if you teach medical professionals check it out! Or if you just want to increase traffic to that site by 20%, please visit the site!

There are a lot of new Christmas resources at MES-English.com and in the MES Network.

Dream English.com has written a version of Jingle Bells that's free to download and use in you classes. The song has a vocabulary practice section that matches the vocabulary in the MES-English Christmas flashcards. Use them together had spice up you Christmas lessons.

The actual show this week is on organization. We give you some tips on how to organize flashcards, students' homework, textbooks, CDs, worksheets, the paper tiger, your classroom, lesson plans, and more.

If you spend a little time using these organizational tips, you can save yourself a lot more time at work.

Game of the Week: A Day at School

A board game that allows you to practice a great variety of different target languages. Check out the game and download the game board and cards here A Day at School

You can alter the game and make it into an ESL RPG game with elves and dwarves fighting each other in the hallway, take points, earn special armor ...

Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:08 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Zealot!

Thanks for the tips. I especially like the ones on lesson planning.
Just a question, how do you organize your files on the computer?
Do you do save your lesson plans for each class, or do you have template you use? Any tricks to naming files so that you can find them when needed?
I am a disorganized mess with or without the computer.

Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:23 pm
Site Admin

I have a folder for each grade or level. Within that, I have a folder for each unit. Within each unit folder I have all the materials I make or use for that unit. I may even name them '1.1 he likes drill.doc', by putting the numbers in their, the documents will stay in order in your unit folder.

English classes
____- Junior high
________- first grade
____________- unit 1
________________- 1.1 Hello worksheet
________________- 1.2 Hello greeting activity
________________- 1.3 How are you? activity
________________- 1.4 This is ...

Does that make sense?

Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:12 am
Profile WWW
MES-Addict

Post Re: Getting Organized
I know this is ann older topic and no one is really posting here, but I want to add my opinion. At first I really found it difficult to be organized for my classes. Then I started creating a weekly class content sheet for each grade. This would detail what material I would be reviewing each week, then listing new vocabulary, new structure, new phonics, writing and/or reading. Even the songs and games I plan to use for the week are listed there. From the content sheet, my lesson plans can be created for each day. The next thing I did was to purchase several of those see-through clear and pastel colored plastic sipper envelopes. In these I place the flashcards that I will use for each class for the week. I also place a sheet or two of stickers to give out to the students who do well. In other pouches I keep the resdt of my flashcards separated by subject, and the different games such as the Big Town cards and maps, as well as the spiders and candy game pieces.

Since I started doing these simple things, my classroom organization has improved considerably. If there are any users still looking at organization, I hope these things help.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:59 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]