MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
selling an English School 
MES-Member

Post selling an English School
Anyone know the best way to put a busy English School in Japan up for sale?

Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:54 am
Site Admin

Post Re: selling an English School
I would think you're best bet would be to contact other nearby schools. In the past I've heard of people buying students at 2-3x the monthly fee. They would pay that for every student who agreed to switch schools.

If you are selling the school completely as is for take over, I'd again contact nearby schools or local foreigners. You may be able to sell the school for more (4-6 months profit) if there are people willing to take over.

You may be able to profit longer if you could find a Japanese business partner who is willing to manage the business for you. Maybe something like 70:30 for 10 years and then 80:20 thereafter with the option to buy you out after 10 years at 12 months profit. That would be 3 years profit over 10 years plus a buy out at the end or continued revenue.

Of course, you'd be subject to the Japanese owner's business skills and sense. They could drive it into the ground and you'd be left with zero after 5 years.

Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:37 am
Profile WWW
MES-Member

Thank you for your advice. I have some personal things to take care of so I can't continue to teach students from 3-70 and run the school. I also don't want to just walk away from 7 years of hard work. Thanks again.

Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:16 pm
MES-Member

where is your school located, i know someone who who be interested - a canadian who already has a small school who is looking to expend.

Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]