MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Should I use graphic resume for ALT jobs? 
MES-Member

Post Should I use graphic resume for ALT jobs?
Hello,

I'm in quite a bit dilemma right now. I'm going to apply for English teaching position in an Eikaiwa and for various ALT jobs. It's my first time applying for a teaching job and I'm quite serious about it. So my question is, should I use graphic resumes or a plain standard resume?

Graphic resume can make me stand out as it is visually appealing, but at the same time the hiring manager might not like it as graphic resumes tends break all the conventional resume formats. On the other hand, standard resumes tends to include lots of details/info about the applicant, but might not be too appealing to the hiring manager as it doesn't stands out from the crowd, and might get overlooked.

Both having their own pros and cons, I'm very confused with which one to go with. I'll mostly be submitting my resumes through gaijinpot.com or online.

Also, not to forget the mentality of the Japanese people. They are know to stick with the conventional rule and don't handle changes quite well.

What do you guys think? Which one should I go with, graphic or standard? If there are any professional hiring managers over here, I would like to hear your honest opinion.

Kind Regards

Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:15 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: Should I use graphic resume for ALT jobs?
I think if it's common practice these days, then a graphic resume should be OK. However, I find it unnecessary. It seems more like you are hiding something or trying to dazzle up something that should shine on its own. I would just like to see the job positions held, the dates and responsibilities at those companies.

If you have a university degree with some sort of linguistic based major, some experience or other standout attributes, then I would send in a standard resume. If you are lacking all of those, then you are in competition with the herd and a graphic resume might make your application stand out.

I removed your link because I don't want anyone sent to a website via a URL shortener. This is a forum and unlike Twitter, etc. you are not limited to the amount of characters you can use.

Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:35 am
Profile WWW
MES-Member

mesmark wrote:
I think if it's common practice these days, then a graphic resume should be OK. However, I find it unnecessary. It seems more like you are hiding something or trying to dazzle up something that should shine on its own. I would just like to see the job positions held, the dates and responsibilities at those companies.

If you have a university degree with some sort of linguistic based major, some experience or other standout attributes, then I would send in a standard resume. If you are lacking all of those, then you are in competition with the herd and a graphic resume might make your application stand out.

Thank you so much for your reply.

I'm just a fresh college graduate and don't have any professional experience yet. However, I used to give private lessons to my juniors while I was in college. But I guess, I can't put it in resume as it's not a professional experience.

Graphic resumes are common practice these days in rest of the world, but Japan's a different story. Therefore, I wanted an opinion of a professional recruiter on this matter.

Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:18 pm
MES-Member

I was asked the very same question 2 months ago and didn't get the right answer and another thanks for a newbie.

Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]