MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
New member here!! 
MES-Member

Post New member here!!
Hi all

Newbie here, just joined the forum after endless searching on the net to find a forum and somewhere I can ask questions!

I have been browsing around and searching to see if any of my questions have already been answered but it doesn't seem they have so I will crack on and start a new post soon!

I'm a former engineer, moved away from the UK to teach in a private school in Slovakia, mainly for a change of pace and to be with my girlfriend out here. I have been teaching here now for 1.5 years and have mixed feelings about it! ;)

I teach a mixture of students ranging from huge companies to individual lessons and groups of young kids. I guess the attraction of me being a native speaker helps a bit.

I look forward to finding my answers and maybe helping out some others!

Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:56 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Post Re: New member here!!
Benny - Sounds exciting! I followed my wife to Japan and have been here 15 years now. Teaching can be difficult but also very rewarding. I'm sure that if you are attracting a lot of work that it probably has to do with your ability to teach, not just that you are a native speaker.

What have you found the most interesting about living there in Slovakia?

Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:31 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Member

Post Re: New member here!!
Well, I have been with my girlfriend for around 7 years so I knew about the food and basic culture. But living here was a completely different experience!

I guess the biggest thing I realised was how family orientated most people are. The working day starts early but most people are finished at 3 or 4pm ish to go home and spend time with their families. Which can only be a good thing!

Getting my Slovak ID card and permission to work and stay etc. was very hard, everything is paper based and I had to fill out 11 pages for my ID card! And that's the same in the banks. But the basic culture isn't a huge difference for me, I can imagine living in Asia is a huge difference!

Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:28 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]