MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Teaching ESL in Japan. Salary? Living "comfortably"? 
Post Teaching ESL in Japan. Salary? Living "comfortably"?
The salary for teaching ESL in Japan is about 250,000 yen/month. I won't be living in the city (hopefully) and I don't drink or party much. Also, I am not going to go buying just Western foods because I am actually excited to try the Japanese cuisine. Can I earn enough to live comfortably i.e. pay my utilities, rent, food, entertainment (not drinking/ partying), save and pay loans of about US $300 per month?

I know the experience is worth the trip but what about the salary? My recruiter said you can live very well off that salary in Japan (not the city areas). Was that just recruiter talk?

Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:54 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: Teaching ESL in Japan. Salary? Living "comfortably"?
A simple answer is yes. People are here living comfortably on 250,000 yen/month. I'm not sure how much they are saving, but I know a few people are able to make loan payments back in the States while they are here.

My first job here paid 270,000/month. I lived with my wife (not working at the time.) We had one car. We went out from time to time and I'd say life was comfortable. During that time I was able to save 80,000 - 100,000 yen/month. A lot of the things we had were used, borrowed, or gifts. The car was old, but nice enough.

The biggest expense will be housing. We were lucky to get teacher housing and paid 10,000 yen per month.

Unfortunately, the yen is becoming weaker and weaker. That doesn't affect the cost of items here to any great extent, but will take more yen to make loan payments back home.

Each person's idea of comfortable is different, but from what you are saying, it seems you should be OK.

Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:15 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]