MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Looking at TEFL training 
MES-Member

Post Looking at TEFL training
Hi my name is David and this is my first post here. I am interested in taking TEFL training but there are many options online to choose from and I really can't discern the difference in quality. I was hoping someone could answer some questions I have.

Just a quick bio, I have no formal teaching experience. However, while I served as a combat medic in the U.S. Army, I did teach classes to other soldiers having to do with CPR, IV's, and combat related injuries. I also have three years public speaking experience from being in Toastmasters International. I also have performed as a close up magician for eight years, and I have my BA in Theatre. I mention all of that because these skills have made me very comfortable around all types of people and crowds which I think will be of great benefit to me in this area. Anyway, that's enough of my background. Here are my questions:

1. What accreditation should I be looking for in regards to training?
2. It's my understanding that most schools around the world require 6-20 hours of live practicum. How do online courses deal with this?
3. Where in the world will I be able to teach with certain certificates gained from a given program?
4. Is it true that one can get the best jobs if trained by TESL Canada, CELTA, Trinity CertTESOL or equivalent certification programs?

Thanks a lot!

Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:16 am
MES-Member

Post Re: Looking at TEFL training
Hello dreichelt! If you got your answer then please share with me because I'm too interested to take training.

Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:18 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: Looking at TEFL training
There isn't really a "best" solution. The advice that I usually give to people is to start with where you would like to work. Once you know where you'd like to work, you can then look at what qualifications are needed in that environment.

So, if the area you'd like to work in requires a CELTA certificate with 10 hours of classroom training, then you'll know what you need in a training program.

There are areas that don't require any certificates or training as well. All you need is a college degree.

Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:42 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]