MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
New to Forum & One to One Teaching Advice 
MES-Member

Post New to Forum & One to One Teaching Advice
Hello
I am new to the forum. I don't have any qualifications as yet but I was looking at various teaching English as a foreign language courses before we moved here, but I was running my own business at the time so it wasn't an option. Now it is!

We have moved to France with my husband's job and I have been asked by a French friend if I would teach their 6 yr old English as they will be moving to the UK in the summer, which I have agreed to.

His mum is very keen for him to learn how to introduce himself, and the usual greetings to start with. She wants him to have a basic idea of essential vocabularly and phrases. My own children had lessons from a French teacher in the UK when we were moving here, so I suppose it is similar to what they were learning.

Now, I'm beginning to feel nervous as I want to make it fun and interesting for him. He is a bright boy, I met him at the weekend, very musical so I think I will need to use music, instruments etc to gain his interest at the beginning and bond with him.

So if there is any advice for teaching this age group on a one to one basis then I would be delighted to hear your ideas and experiences.

Many thanks.

Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:28 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: New to Forum & One to One Teaching Advice
Sorry, I had originally written a reply to this a couple days ago, only to have it eaten by my iPad ...

I guess it depends on how much base knowledge he already has. I would think building vocabulary would be a good place to start, but essential phrases and questions with 'have', 'like', and 'want' would be good. Time expressions like like 'yesterday', 'in the morning', 'in the afternoon', etc seem like they would be immediately useful. Being able to ask for permission, 'May I ~?'

Will he be entering school or a kindergarten?

Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:00 am
Profile WWW
MES-Member

Thank you for your reply - he will be entering Year 3 I believe (possibly Year 2) at primary school! Not sure of his exact dob.
He can read French quite well but he has no knowledge of English.
I did the first lesson, using some playmobil toys so that we could try the Hello, Goodbye, routine - he seemed to enjoy using these, it is difficult when there is only him to practice the greetings with. We had some fun with the word jump, as he started making his little playmobil man jump up and down.

I will build on the greetings and like the idea of yesterday, today and I want etc. Perhaps we can work on a few vocabularly words each week and build up slowly. He was very tired after a day at school and then having this lesson. I could see that 45 mins was when his concentration started to go - I have boys of my own and can read those signs well! :)

N

Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:26 am
MES-Member

As you probably know games are the best motivation for children. Currently I am teaching 8-year-old children and I adapt the games which children like playing e.g dobble is great to teach vocabulary such as colors, shapes, alphabet, animals. You can introduce and revise different structures depending on what you want to work on. For example, when I play dobble the moment we find the same object we have too say:
-I've got two dogs, they are brown and yellow
or
-This is a dog / these are dogs. They are brown.

I have got a lot of ideas. Tell me what structures you are planning to teach and I might find you something interesting.

Cheers

Ania

Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:56 pm
MES-Member

Hi there,

I'm also new to the forums, but I have a suggestion that might work, depending on how much space you have. I use a small room when teaching children that age - just an empty room. We do a lot of moving around, which engages them (whether its a one-to-one lesson or a group lesson. For example, if I'm teaching colours, I lay flashcards on the floor, scattered around the room. I'll say "Touch blue! Ready? Go!" and the kid(s) will race to touch the card.

I agree with the above replys as well, deciding which structures you want to use will make it a little easier and you'll feel less nervous.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]