MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
one-on-one (junior student age:12-16) 
MES-Member

Post one-on-one (junior student age:12-16)
Hi~everyone, I'm a Chinese. I'm really interest in your teaching method. It's so different from ours. And I know these from a teacher who is an English whom I respect. He brought me into a new world. But as English is not my first language, I have some problems:

I used to teach a small class which including 8-15 students. There I can do activities and games easily. Because there is white board,computer,flash cards etc. But now I changed to a new school, what I have is only pencil and paper....I don't know how to do the activities according to this. Especially,it's one on one. I'm so worried about it....

I wonder if you have any good ideas...T T

VICKY ^^ Many Thax!!!

Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:38 pm
MES-Member

Post Re: one-on-one (junior student age:12-16)
It's me again! :-D

Now , I only have two activities can be used in my class:
tic-tac-toc and binggo( I think this one is also not good for one on one!)

Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:42 pm
Site Admin

Vicky - Welcome to the forums! :smt006

You should be able to do the same things with a pencil and paper that you can do with a whiteboard. It will take a bit of adjusting, but a pencil and paper can be very liberating. Actually, with one-on-one classes I generally sit at the desk and use a page in my notebook instead of the whiteboard. It saves me the time of getting up and going over to the board. Also, I have an instant log of anything extra that we've covered and on what day.

One-on-One Activities:
I play bingo with some one-on-one students. There is an explanation on this page: www.mes-english.com/flashcards/bingo.php
There are actually two versions for one-on-one bingo games.

Another good game for one-on-one classes is the Get Four Game. The student will get to practice forming sentences and also hear you making the correct sentences as well. All the while, you are playing a fun game. You get a lot of practice since the game may take 20-30 minutes to finish.

Board games are also good. I like the looping board game here - the Knock Out Race. With a small group and one-on-one it works really well. You can decide how many laps are needed and students should land on most of the spaces and some of them several times for repeated practice. With a regular snaking board game, students pass a lot of the squares on the board and don't get as much practice - that's not meant to mean the other board games aren't good.

I hope that gives you a few ideas to work with. There are more activities on my sites that are great for one-on-one. I work with large groups 40+ students and small groups, so I've made activities for both.

Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:45 am
Profile WWW
MES-Member

Thanks Mark!!!!
It works!!! Really thank you for the good activities!!!

Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:13 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]