MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Teaching teenagers 
MES-Member

Post Teaching teenagers
Looking for some ideas to brighten up my 1-1 lessons with my 11-16 year old students who think some of the 'kids' materials that I use are a bit babyish! Some of them have quite basic english so I'm struggling to find anything basic enough and yet 'grown up' enough for them!! It's the boys particularly that are the problem!!

Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:40 am
Site Admin

Post Re: Teaching teenagers
I played a simple tic-tac-toe game with some 12 year olds today. I drew a tic-tac-toe board on a large piece of paper. The students had to place a flashcard in a square (and say the appropriate language piece.) One person placed the card face up and the other placed the card face down. That went over pretty well and they were using the language.

Other games that are good for teens and boys are:
Treasure Island
Get Four
Eigomon
Three Card Rummy
baseball, soccer and football are also good if they are interested in it. You can also make a golf game like this English Golf game using text flashcards for sentence building

One thing that has worked well for me is rationing the games. Once I find a game or activity that they like I use it to get them to do the other things. For example, if they really like Eigomon, I will have it positioned after the two essential tasks. So, I'll either write a little schedule on the board with:
1. vocab review
2. grammar practice
3. Eigomon!

Then I explain that we have to do these first two and then we can play Eigomon!!! Yay!!

I don't think the whole class needs to be a party, but it's nice to have something to look forward to. Using that method, I'm able to get them through a few monotonous tasks and they're happy to get to play a game they like.

Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:24 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Member

Thanks Mark. I don`t really understand how to play Get Four. Is it like connect four but on paper?

Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:15 pm
Site Admin

Get Four can be played like Connect Four, but it's more like tic-tac-toe, just 4 instead of 3. Also, you keep going and continue to try and make more groupings (not just "one line of four wins the game.")

One thing that's nice is that you don't need all unique variables. It doesn't matter if you have the same parts listed twice. The axis points aren't used for any mapping like you'd see in 'Bombs Away'.

I do try to make classes fun and interesting but I also point out to students that they are in my classes to learn. We each have a responsibility in the lesson. Unfortunately, English does require a lot of repetition. I explain that to my students and tell them that they need to be mindful of what they are saying and be trying to speak clearly and better each time. This is, after all, practice and you will "play" like you practice. :)

Hopefully some of these games will give you the repetition the students need and be slightly entertaining at the same time.

Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:14 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Member

I find board games most useful with teenagers. So are card games and dice games. Check out the great resources at www.toolsforeducators.com It's a great site to build material and games.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:50 am
MES-Addict

I taught grades 4-7 for about 45 months last year, and I found that they enjoyed doing worksheets, oddly enough. I would bring in word search puzzles, fill in the blanks and even crosswords to my Chinese classroom. Once I got the kids started, they did great and stayed on task rather well. I did, make plenty of use of music and even an occasional video. My classes watched the full length original version of Gulliver's Travels and the animated Disney's Jungle book. These little diversions helped to relax and ease the students into a good mindset to enjoy the worksheets between the drilling of new vocabulary, I guess...

Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:38 pm
Profile YIM
Site Admin

epyrambs - sorry. If you want to play it like Connect Four you have to have the students start off the bottom line and can only build off another play. A way that I think is more fun is you can also tell them any border (sides or top) can be used. That way they build in toward the center.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:28 am
Profile WWW
MES-Member

I like the idea of Get Four, thanks for your expanation Mark, but I`m struggling to think of other things to include in the boxes. Can you give me some more examples of when you have used it?

Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:04 pm
Site Admin

recently with my high school students I have used:

down: all, the one, what, the ones, why, where ...
across: I want, I like, I need, I have

students have to make a sentence or string of sentences like:
"All I want is this new bag."
"My friends and family are great. They are all I need."
"This bag has a cool logo. That's why I like it."

Any combination is possible. You can practice grammar structures. You can even just have them try to combine simple vocabulary words in one sentence as well.

down: He, She, Tom, Kelly, ....
across: yesterday, this morning, last week, ...
"He went to the store yesterday."

down: I, you, he. she. Tom, They
across: study, like, (not) like, (be) tired, ...
"I study every day."
"He doesn't like video games."

down: read, come, go, watch TV, ...
across: every day, now, tomorrow, on Tuesdays, yesterday at 5:00, since 2009
"My mother reads every day."
"Timmy is going to come here tomorrow."

Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:52 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Member

Thanks Mark. The treasure island game went down well - I added a few nice things too as it was a bit boring with just 5 dangerous things! I haven't tried the others yet but will do soon!

Fri May 10, 2013 9:29 pm
MES-Member

I have used all of MES-English games many times here in China. The students love them. I have used them from grade 4 classes all the way to university level.

Another activity I have used is "flash card twister". I bought several clear mats that I can lay on the floor about the size of the "Twister" game. I put what-ever flash cards of the words that I am working on under the sheet. I make spinner boards with the words also. It is a lot of fun and the students love it.

Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]