MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Director watching me teach made my students uncomfortable 
MES-Member

Post Director watching me teach made my students uncomfortable
Hi all,
There probably isn't much I can do about this but here is the problem. When I first started teaching the director would look through the window while I was teaching. He stopped, but this week he started doing it again. I've been at the school about a month now.
What happened today was, in one class I was giving a speaking test, with the speaking test I take the kids one by one into the hallway and give it to them. When I gave my first student his speaking test, the director hovered over us. The student kept looking up at the director and then back at me. I think it made him nervous, the director walked away half-way through the speaking test. And then my student started answering the questions without any trouble.
In another class, first the director looked in the window, then a little later he came back but this time he opened the door and walked in. This class is well behaved, the kids were just sitting in the back of the room, I was in the back with them but at the point when the director walked in I was at the front of the room because I had to change the track on the CD player. He made the kids move to the front of the room. After the director left one of my students asked me to please close the door. The director again looked through the window a few minutes later. The student who asked me to close the door looked at the window and said something in Korean, I can count the number of Korean words I know on my hand, so I have no idea what he said. I could just tell by his body language he was bothered by this. Maybe he felt like he was in trouble for something when he did nothing wrong.
And it's awkward for me when I get stared at while I teach, I could understand the first week. Maybe I am just used to jobs when my supervisors were pretty much hands-off, and let me do my thing and were there for guidance.
Any tips/advice? Thanks :)

Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:43 pm
MES-Zealot!

Does your director speak English? Are you able to communicate with him? If so, you should speak with him directly.
Quote:
When you come to observe my classroom, what are you looking for?

In my opinion, your presence disrupts the flow of the lessons. Would you mind being more discreet?

When he is hovering over a student during a speaking test
Quote:
We are doing speaking tests now. I would prefer the students to not be distracted.

Then stop and look at him until he leaves.

Be respectful, but assert yourself as the teacher of the class.

If you can not speak to him without a translator, then meet with him after hours and do that. Learn some respectful phrases that you can say to remind him when he comes around. He is your director, but it is your classroom.

Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:14 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]