MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
2011 MES Halloween Party 
Site Admin

Post 2011 MES Halloween Party
Every year I host a Halloween party for the students at my English school. this year I made a haunted house with full entrance, doorway, some spooky trees, and a cemetery style fence.

My wife and I went as Team Rocket from Pokemon and my kids were characters from Pokemon as well.

And here's a glimpse at how silly I am. (if you didn't already know.)

"Pikachu! Thunderbolt!"
Team Rocket blasting off again!

Here's the full write up of the Halloween party, games and activities if you are interested:
MES Haunted Halloween Party

Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:20 am
Profile WWW
MES-Fanatic!

Great party, mark, it's obvious that you guys really put a lot of effort to make it interesting. Sorry for a little bit late review.

Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:17 am
MES-Addict

Post Wow!
thats amazing!! I was looking for a Halloween topic in early October to see what you were going to do. Every year you have completely different themes and everything is setup around that theme. I wish our school was like that

We just recycle everything...

How long did it take you to set up the trees and door frames?

I dont know if you remember, but i tried for the first time last year to make some tombstones. It took a long time just to make 2 of them, so Im amazed you can make the time to create everything.

What happens with the old halloween sets you have made?

Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:51 pm
Site Admin

Thanks for the nice comments. I didn't start a Halloween thread this year because I always feel like it's sort of unrelated. Also, it makes me look a like a nut :P I am, but I try not to look like one :)

It's only been the last 3-4 years that we've had full on "themes". And this year they didn't really match. However, I was pretty excited about this year's theme, haunted house, since it's very reusable. All of the pieces can pretty much be put anywhere for a Halloween party. Also the backdrops are fabric pieces and can be arranged as one long scene setter (10m), they can be used separately, or be placed over any doorway.

I put the medieval and Egyptian theme decorations in the haunted house this year, but in general the old props sit in my storage closet. My biggest challenge recently is to think of a way to recycle them for another theme :)

I did write some tutorials for how I mad everything:
Here are the blog tutorials:

how to make spooky fence posts
how to make a spooky Halloween tree
How to make a PVC pipe rot iron fence
How to make haunted house scene setter

The trees and other pieces didn't take long at all in my estimation. Each tree took about 3 hours. I tend to be pretty quick though. Mostly because I'm not that particular. But also because I think about it a lot and have a pretty clear image in my head of what I want to make and what I expect it to look like in the end. Pretty much anything you put together will look good painted and shaded. Real things aren't perfect. So, I just go and see what happens. Luckily, they've always turned out pretty good.

All in all, the reason we do this is because it's fun for us. Just like MES, making this Halloween stuff is a hobby. It's also something my wife and I like to do together.

Do you have some photos of your tombstones?

Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:40 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Sorry, I reread the post and see you asked about set up, not making ... I had 8 people come and help the night before. We were there for about 3 hours making the haunted house maze and getting other stuff together. The actual facade and doorway didn't take much time at all. They are just sheets of fabric tacked at the top and bottom. The doorway was duct taped to the fabric and held together loosely with some wire. It actually sat "floating" in front of the stage which was the hardest part. There was nothing to fasten it to. Had there been an actual doorway, it would have been very sturdy and simple to put together.

The next morning some other people came and we added to the inside of the haunted house, added details and got a lot of the actual party stuff set up. Again maybe about 3-4 hours to get everything together on the day.

Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:57 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Member

I just have to say I am so impressed. I've been accused of going all-out for my son's birthday parties but they just pale in comparison.

And as for being a nut - that's what keeps a person young at heart. I think. :wink:

Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]