MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
intro and looking for time cards 
MES-Member

Post intro and looking for time cards
Hello everyone. First post for me. I'm a speech pathologist in the US and have loved Mark's materials for vocabulary, grammar and social language activities for my preschool through 6th grade special education students. This week I have finished making up all the Little Town game cards and my students are very interested= this has been a big motivator for a few of my high functioning autistic students who have no idea how to approach someone and make friends with them. We have discussed and practiced how to introduce ourselves and ask questions to find out about the other person. The Little Town cards are brilliant for that.

A lot of my work addresses getting kids to both understand and ask WH questions. I've used Mark's cards to teach WHO? WHAT?, WHERE? and a few WHEN?, but would love to see additional time vocabulary all in one place - e.g., in the morning, after school, at night, during the winter, etc.

Anyway. I wanted to say hello. As I browse the boards, I'd love to pop in and give my perspective of teaching language from a speech pathologist's point of view from time to time, and I know that I'll be picking up lot's of great information from all of you. Thank you, everyone, in advance, and thank you Mark! - LeeanneSLP

Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:07 am
Site Admin

LeeanneSLP - Welcome to the site! Thanks for sharing your story and it's amazing to hear that maybe MES has played a role in helping a child in his or her life.

On the "time" front. There are a couple time flashcards in the days of the week cards. At the end of the file, you'll find "in the morning", "in the afternoon", "in the evening" and "at night".

A few people have asked for more time cards and it's in my little book of things to do. I'll make a memo about "during summer" and some other time expressions.

Please feel free to pop in and share your thoughts. In other conversations with some speech pathologists, it seems we (language teachers) are tackling some of the same problems.

Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:50 am
Profile WWW
MES-Member

Post Re: intro and looking for time cards
I bought a kids game by a company called Orchard Toys called Tell the Time. I`ve found it really useful for teaching both time and times of the day. Otherwise have you tried islcollective or busy teacher websites?

Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:36 am
Site Admin

as a follow up to this, there are some time flashcards using clock faces on the site. I made them last year I believe.

You can also play an online telling time game at MES Games.

Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:30 pm
Profile WWW
MES-Addict

I've been replying to many posts here, but I realized that I never properly introduced myself in the forums. Since this is the only topic I see here that says introduction in the title, I will post mine here.

Hello, I am a 51 year old American who holds a BS/BA degree in English Literature and an TESOL certificate. I have taught in several different ways going back as far as 2007, beginning as an adult leader for the Boy Scouts of America. In 2011, I decided to try my hand as an ESL teacher, so I earned my TESOL and came to China where I have been teaching English since April 2012. I love this site, which has provided me with numerous insights and great tools which havge helped me to become a better ESL teacher. Thanks Mark, and all the other teachers who have given their experiences in these forums.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:59 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]