MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Tax Question 
Author Message

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:33 pm
Posts: 31
Location: Aichi, Japan
Post Tax Question
I know this is a difficult subject. But does anyone know, for a typical English teacher job in Japan such as at ECC or anywhere else, with a base salary of ¥250,000 per month, how much tax money is usually taken out of your pay?

Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:31 am
Site Admin

Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:46 am
Posts: 2130
Location: Nagano, Japan
It depends on your visa status, I believe. However, the standard for incomes between ¥1,950,00-¥3,300,000 is 10% (actually 10% - ¥97,000 on the year). Beyond that there is a ken/city tax which will vary. Where we are, it's 4.9%. There are also some other annual fees here and if you are over 40 you have to pay another ambulatory care insurance (or something) at an additional 1.3%.

If you are married or have dependents you can get that factored in. They'll reduce what they withdraw so that at the end of the year you're just about even with what you owe.

Your employer will probably do your taxes for you. You can opt to do them yourself. If you have other income streams, it may be a good idea to do them yourself. You may also qualify as self-employed which would mean you could write off living expenses, your rent, car, insurance costs, etc.

In any case, I would think you should be able to see the end of the year tax filing in your name. You should have to sign the paper or stamp it. I've always done my own taxes here, so I'm not sure.

Then there's the Japanese social security which is a flat rate of almost ¥14,000/month. That's good because paying in the Japanese social security system exempts you from having to pay into the US social security system (which would be 15% of your salary, not subject to the foreign income exclusion). Not sure about the laws for other countries.

National health care insurance is based on your previous year's income, but I believe foreigners don't technically have to join at this point. That can also vary depending on where you live. You should be able to go down to the city hall and get that information. You may even be able to find that information on the city's website.

I hope that helps.

Build up! Be positive! Teach hard!

Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:01 am
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
All Content Copyright © 2012 MES English | End User License Agreement | MES Privacy Policy
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.