MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Ways to save time and money in making materials 
MES-Zealot!

Post Ways to save time and money in making materials
I'm sure others already do the following, but I thought I'd put it out there for those new to the site and for those of us so busy we do things the way e always have.

The first involves lamanating. If you are using the new 4x4 bingo cards you will notice they don't have backs.

I have made 2 sets and pasted them back to back before lamanating. Thi swill save you time, money, and storage space and plus it's better for the enviornment.

You could also do this with the 3x3 by just discarding the backs and pasting 2 sets together.

The other idea involves the small game cards. I orginally made mine in BW (just not as nice). So I am making some of them over.

What I have done for some of them is go to print options and printed them 2-up. This way you get 8 cards on a sheet instead of 4.

They end up being a tad bit smaller than the domino cards if you've used them. I think they are still a nice size.

I think they might be too small for kindies and maybe even early elematary because they will fit nicely into their little mouths and beleive me they will put them there.

However, they are fine for most of the games and other activities.

You might also want to do this if your school limits the number of color copies you can make. It also cuts down on lamanting costs.

I have decided to do this mainly with the more advanced card sets like phrasial/passive verbs, etc. Things I don't really teach my little ones.

For the stuff I use for all levels I will make them the same size.

Anyway just wanted to share that with you. (And I hope there isn't something like that already out there. I forget to search before posting.)

Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:44 pm
MES-Zealot!

I'm terribly wasteful. I forget to collect in cards etc. after a lesson, and if I remember, fail to file them in such a way that I'll be able to find them again when I need them.

This makes more work for me in the long run, and is a waste of resources. Be like enjoyinglifeinseoul, not me!

Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:43 am
Profile WWW
MES-Addict

What's a good way of storing these cards? I find I have so many now, and space is limited, and also, they don't really fit nice in them clear file folders. What's the neatest and the best way in organizing them so I can see what cards I have and am able to find them when I need to use them?

Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:42 pm
MES-Zealot!

I usually wrap mine in rubberbands and then palce them in zip lock bags. I've made 4 of each set I wrap each complete set seperately, but place them in the same bag.

I'm pretty lucky because my partner lets me have 3/4 of our office. He 's the also science teacher and has his own class room.

Anyway what I have done is kind of created my own filing system. I was pretty poor at the time, so I reused some of the boxes our A4 paper comes in.

Basically, I cut a big chunk of the upper portion off(so I could easily see what was in the box.) then I cut those pieces into stirps. These strips I write the various catagories on weather, adjectices, etc.

Next I use my labeled stips a the dividers. This way I can place all my material for one group together. It's a little akward with large flashcards, small game cards, bingo boards, etc, but it works.

I have created two such boxes. But I am thinking of have one box just for large flash cards and then seperate boxes for games/bingo cards, etc. However, it is nice having all the material in one spot.

If you only use bingo cards and small game cards, you could just use the lid to the paper box.

If all that is to elaborate and not worth the trouble, you could buy colored stickers and place them on/in the bags. and then just toss them all in a box.

If you have a lot of sets you could label the stickers V1 for verbs set 1, V2 for verbs 2, A1 for animal set 1, etc.

If you don't use a lot of sets or just the small ones, you could go to a craft/hardware store and buy one of those shelves with seperate drawers for nails, bolts, or other things. I'm sure I've seen some that would fit the samll cards. If not print them 16-up and they should fit.

Anyway, I hope those ideas help some or have given you other ideas.

Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:24 pm
MES-Addict

Oh ya that's a great idea. I haven't been able to think about anything besides file folders because I don't really have any available space for storing material. I guess if I request some (with a big smile), they will make some space in the office for me and maybe get me some materials as well.

Thanks for the ideas :).

Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:37 pm
MES-Zealot!

Okay for those of you who haven't made all your flash card/get em' sets just make one.

You can either just make the flash cards and use them by having the kids play normal rock paper scissors or you can make the get'em cards and just have the students ignore the rock, scissors, paper when you want to use them for another activity.

Altought I don't do the following I suggested it to a friend and he said it has cut down on his costs, he tends to use the large flash cards for presentation only and plays games with the small ones, so I suggested that instead of using the title page he make the large cards double side with a different set on each side. Result less laminating costs. less storage space taken up.

Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:19 pm
MES-Addict

I'm quite lucky. My school provides me with a colour printer,laminator and to cap it all the school carpenter has even made ne a small kind of bookcase to store my resources. :D

Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:27 am
MES-Member

just wanna share my own way of saving my precious material of teaching

i do like what you do..laminating...i prepare special bag to keep all laminated materials inside

another way i do is sticking the lesson plan and all supplementary material on my book, exactly at the page related to that lesson plan and all supp material...it really helps me to make my teaching preparation, whether related to idea or aids.....because all idea of your teaching is very precious as precious as how you spend your time, money and energy of preparing those all...

good luck for all spiritful teachers around the world

Sat May 23, 2009 10:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]