MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
graduation 
MES-Fanatic!

Post graduation
can anyone tell me what you do for the last lesson before graduation?
The Japanese teacher has asked me to attend some classes which i never even taught, but just to attend their last day before graduating. She is asking me for some ideas as to what to do, to make it special and fun.This is my first year at this school and am unsure what to do. She is thinking about some games,and giving certificates etc, what do you usually do at this time? can someone share their experience please,,,,thanks.

Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:45 pm
MES-Addict

If you've never been to the class before... well, it wouldn't make any sense to give them a certificate if you've never taught them. Maybe just think of some party games, like balloon races, limbo, pin the ___ on the ___, musical chairs, etc. These don't use a lot of English but they are a lot of fun, and you can find ways to add english to them- the students must sing, or them must say a phrase before trying the task.

Honestly, this sounds like a ridiculous situation, but do the best you can. If you just pretend you're setting up a one time kid's party, it should turn out all right.

About the certificates- I said it would be meaningless, but now that I think about it the kids did complete an English program, just with a different teacher, right? If that's the case, they might appreciate some kind of "You did it!" certificate. Mark's got some great ones on his 123certificates page, I give them out to my graduating kids every year.

Rambling, sorry. Hope I said something helpful.

Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:00 am
I usually find final lessons are a bit of a let down. The students tend to feel it should be something special, but it's still just a lesson, and you're a teacher, not an entertainer.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much about final lessons - you'll probably never see them again, after all! Getting first lessons right is much more important.

Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:34 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]