MES EnglishFlashcardsPhonicsGamesWorksheetsOnline ESL GamesCertificatesPrintable Calendars

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Fun Game - Tornado 
Post Fun Game - Tornado
This game is called "Tornado". It's great for reviewing vocabulary using picture cards. I got this game idea somewhere off the internet but made some changes to spice it up! You will need 35-40 small picture cards (Karuta cards work great), 45 small magnets, a chalkboard and you will need to make 9 small "special" cards. You will set up the cards (including the special cards) in the following grid-like format:

...1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
A x x x x x x x x
B x x x x x x x x
C x x x x x x x x
D x x x x x x x x
E x x x x x x x x

With my larger classes I use a 5x9 grid instead

There are 3 types of special cards: a tornado, a house, and a switch score card.
House card - this is 6 free points
Tornado card- wipes out the houses (points) of the team that picked it
Switch Scores card - Team 1's score is now Team 2's score and vice
versa
You will need 3 tornado cards, 3 house cards, and 3 switch scores cards. These cards will be randomly mixed in with the small cards (karuta cards) and placed in the grid-like format. The front of the cards should be facing the board so that the students don't know what they are picking. This game is played best with two teams. Each correct answer is worth 2 points which is 2 lines. 6 lines makes one house so each house is worth 6 points. Here's what the house or 6 points looks like:
If the student doesn't know what the picture card is then they get zero points and the card is flipped back over so that someone else can pick it later on. If they get it correct then the card can't be used again. I played this game with my 5th and 6th graders and they LOVED it! As many of you know this age group can be difficult at times but I guarantee they will love this game! And if you are like me...you probably already have tons of karuta cards so there is not much work into making the game. If you have any questions please ask! :D

Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:38 pm
MES-Fanatic!

Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:34 am
Karuta is a Japanese game. I normally divide the class into 2 teams. Then call out a vocabulary word and the students race to find it and slap it on the chalkboard (it's kinda of like slam in America). Karuta cards are just small playing cards instead of large flashcards. Mine are the size of index cards.
:D

Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:47 am
MES-Fanatic!

hey all, i tried this game for the first time, and it went swell!! the japanese teacher told me its a very interesting game. Thanks for sharing that, i would recommend to anyone to try it. my students are 6-7 graders.

Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]